Diatomaceous Earth

• 12 Replies

arwen

Diatomaceous Earth
« on: May 28, 2013, 21:12 »
So a pal in the US has recommended that we try diatomaceous earth on the garden as a pest control. We already use poultry grade to keep the girls' coop free of nasties, but I wondered what your thoughts are as my reading has brought up some controversy:

So here's the rub:

Some sites say that Silica, which is in human grade diatom in the UK, is GOOD for you, other sites say you should be avoiding silica.

I am looking at food grade diatom purely because I'd be putting it close to my veggies which will be for human consumption.

i'd be interested in your thoughts, wisdom and experience please.

Cheers

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Diatomaceous Earth
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 21:25 »
I don't know whether it is licensed for use on ground where edible crops are to be grown.

If it is not so licensed, it is illegal to use it for that purpose.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 22:29 »
I was doubtful about that, thinking it would just be the same as adding rockdust - but you are quite right Yorkie  ;)
Wikipedia says: Although considered to be relatively low-risk, pesticides containing diatomaceous earth are not exempt from regulation in the United States under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act and must be registered with the Environmental Protection Agency.[16]
so it would need an EU license.........
The site owner says
Members sometimes discuss making their own pesticides or uses for commercial products beyond those they are licensed for. Whilst not wishing to stifle free speech, this site does not suggest or condone their illegal use
So, of course, you can do what you like but we wouldn't really want to discuss it here  ;)

Stree

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 22:49 »
I don`t think it would need any special licencing, simply because it is already available as a curative in the form of a product for direct human ingestion.  This type is not necessarily food grade either.
Food grade DE  has beneficial trace elements and this is why it is recommended as a food supplement for young poultry for strengthening bones and poultry of all ages as a digestive cleanser for harmful bacteria and such.
The human body average for silica is around 7 grams, far more than say iron.
Silica is present in crops and fruits naturally anyway and this is where the body gets it from.
I doubt that a plant would take up the food grade silica in anything but a miniscule quantity but what it would take from it are vital trace elements.
The argument that because you put it onto a plant or in the soil that forms its food store means that you eat it in that form is flawed.
You would not apply  this same argument to foliar feeds, growmore granules, tomato fertilizers, which are just a few of many examples that prove this flaw.
I would be happy to use it, but its just too expensive if you have more than a dozen or so plants altogether.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 22:58 »
Sorry, using it like this
try diatomaceous earth on the garden as a pest control
is not what it is licensed for.

Yorkie has it right
If it is not so licensed, it is illegal to use it for that purpose.

solway cropper

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 00:15 »
So, if you used it as a shampoo would the EU police be down on you like a ton of bricks?

This licensing nonsense is just that...nonsense.

Stree

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 00:23 »
You can buy it quite legally as a health aid!  For human consumption! In the UK!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 07:37 »
You may have your own interpretation of the law but as you've already been asked, please don't discuss that here. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

fatcat1955

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 07:58 »
What is the point here, why use something that is expensive when there are easier and cheaper option's. I also thought that one of the major benefit's of growing your own was that you knew no harmful chemical's had been used. Now we are debating using a chemical that has conflicting report's as to it's safe/legal use. I just don't get it man.

arwen

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 08:18 »
What is the point here, why use something that is expensive when there are easier and cheaper option's. I also thought that one of the major benefit's of growing your own was that you knew no harmful chemical's had been used. Now we are debating using a chemical that has conflicting report's as to it's safe/legal use. I just don't get it man.

Because it's far better to discuss it here and get people's opinion and wisdom and advice, than it is to plough ahead and do something that could potentially cause issues to my garden, consumption of food or cause me to do something illegal.

My friend in the US has an amazing garden and is also incredibly conscious of what he puts in/on the soil. HOWEVER, the US and UK are different places and just because he has said jump I'm not going to say 'how high'. I value the opinions of people on here and my garden is just that, my garden, what I wish to spend or not spend on it is not what we are discussing.

That said, I think I will be sticking to egg shells and cabbage collars as using the silica part isn't sitting comfortably enough for me to choose to use it.

Thank you all for your comments and replies.

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 19:02 »
Here in Canada we get both grades of D.E. - food and agri grades. If you do use it, try not to breathe it in as the very fine particles (ancient seashells) can get into your lungs and do damage). It's a very fine white powder best applied on a non-windy day and is safe to apply by bare hand.

That said, they're otherwise a very safe product to use to kill most soft bodied critters and popular with organic growers. Think very fine eggshells. Like anything else, D.E. washes off with rain so must be reapplied soon after. There are no chemical additives with DE, just the finely ground shells. I don't know where people get the idea DE is a chemical. It's NOT! The chicken form might have something added but not the agri form.

Food grade DE, a cleaner grade of DE, is a bit pricer and harder to get as it's for actual consumption for specific health problems. Agri grade is very easily washed off prior to cutting up veg, etc so no worries there about accidentally ingesting it. It's just like washing off dust or dirt before eating your veg/fruit. I've used it for years and am still healthy with no problems, unlike other highly touted insecticides that you need a lot of protective gear to apply.

Hope that's what you're looking for, Arwen.

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 20:59 »
I heard of this a while ago on a chilli growing site.
Found some info here, (http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp)  I thought it was very interesting.

Even more interesting is how on Amazon.com 50lbs is $30 but on Amazon.co.uk 25Kg (I know it's not exactly the same) is £80

DaveJNeal

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 22:24 »
We use it on our hens too, for pest control, and I've tried if on the aphids too - not sure of the impact to be honest on the green fly, been too wet really.

The thing you really want to avoid is inhalation - warm, moist, sensitive environment with little means of escape. You'd be looking at a similar thing to asbestosis I think. Silica itself is silicon dioxide. As such, you're consuming it already - grains have it, hard water has it, beer has it, bread, etc, etc.

Personally, ( IANAD ) putting DE around your plants wont do you any harm. You might do harm to beneficial insects and you'll have to refresh it after it rains ( if it ever stops that is ).

Best of luck, obv take the above as you find it, no warrently expressly given, etc :-)

Dave

xx
what on earth?

Started by Beano on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2016, 20:25
by JoshP
xx
How soon to earth up?

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 23:19
by John
xx
what on earth was that!!!

Started by purplebat on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2007, 18:29
by purplebat
xx
big clumps of earth

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 22:12
by Remy

Page created in 1.714 seconds with 38 queries.