Kohl Rabi - watch an enthusiast...

• 20 Replies

kurwin

Re: Kohl Rabi - watch an enthusiast...
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 15:06 »
we allways grow quite alot of kohlrabi last year the old guy on the next plot kept telling me my swede we're off!! This year we've got a mixed packet from victorian nursery contains green purple and giant varietys can't wait to see the kids faces when they come to pick the giant ones :lol:

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 16:45 »
We've got one of the purple varieties, Max, they're 'Blusta', by T and M!

I'm going to try some more in small pots first as well, as the slugs have had a go at them already..;0)

Right then, I've got my seeds - got the 'blusta' from T and M - Mr G.  Is it best to module sow them and then put them out?  Or direct sow?  I'm thinking of how much the slugs will like them and they will get munched as they grow with direct sowing.  I don't know if my nerves can stand that!  I'm worried enough about the brassica's I already have in the ground!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 08:32 by mumofstig »

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 06:38 »
We've got one of the purple varieties, Max, they're 'Blusta', by T and M!

I'm going to try some more in small pots first as well, as the slugs have had a go at them already..;0)

Right then, I've got my seeds - got the 'blusta' from T and M - Mr G.  Is it best to module sow them and then put them out?  Or direct sow?  I'm thinking of how much the slugs will like them and they will get munched as they grow with direct sowing.  I don't know if my nerves can stand that!  I'm worried enough about the brassic's I already have in the ground!

There are only 50 seeds in the packet, Max, so why not try half sown direct (very thinly), and the others in small pots, that way you'll get even chances of a good crop?

You might be able to put a small pinch of seed in - say 12 pots that way, and then hoik out the weakest to get one plant per pot! The seeds are just about handleable!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 08:32 by mumofstig »

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 09:02 »
Thanks Growster.  I did have an idea in the middle of the night  ::).  I have a great big plastic storage container that I salvaged/wrestled from the refuse collectors.  I could bash some holes in the bottom of that, fill with compost and direct sow into that.  We have a netted tunnel on our plot so I could put the container in there. 

We are trying to grow brassica's in one half of the tunnel (in the ground) so that we can grow them in the other half next year which will mean we don't have to move the entire thing next year.  Its 5m x 3m so not an easy job!  Is that is good idea?

Rich72

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 14:24 »
All of mine got eaten by slug/snails :mad:

Springlands

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 15:07 »
Enjoyed the video Growster - and it reminded me that I had not planted my my KR seeds - done now.  :)

xx
Kohl rabi

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2022, 12:26
by Candide
xx
Kohl Rabi

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 16, 2014, 22:02
by carlrmj
xx
Kohl Rabi

Started by Dave NE on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 08, 2015, 01:09
by colin120
xx
Kohl Rabi

Started by Boothy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2008, 18:22
by flatcap

Page created in 0.911 seconds with 36 queries.