Now what with my Cuke's?

• 2 Replies

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
Now what with my Cuke's?
« on: May 28, 2013, 19:37 »
Evening All.  I am trying to grow cukes for the first time this year.  I know they have suicidal tendencies so ordered some good seeds from the real seed company - miniature whites.  I only planted 3 seeds to see how I got on and what do you know..... they're all growing really well.

I've put them into big pots (40cm -one in each) apparently they don't really need anything to grow up/sprawl over as they are a compact plant so I thought I would keep them in the pots, at home where I can keep an eye on them.  I've tried to get them outside in the better weather daytime, in at night.  But I'm wary of leaving them out in this terrible windy weather.  Now I've noticed the start of loads of flowers growing on all three plants.  What shall I do with them now?

I'll certainly continue to get them outside when it's fine.  I can put them in our netted tunnel on the lottie to give them some protection if we carry on having these high winds.  I will struggle to find a sheltered non windy spot at home, though a sunny spot wouldn't be a problem.  If I put them in the netted tunnel will I have to hand pollinate them?  I don't know what to do next!  :ohmy: Help!

Totty

Re: Now what with my Cuke's?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 21:35 »
They are quite compact but will still like to climb. You could make some small bamboo trellis to push into the pot to support them while your still moving them around, then put them outside for good in a few weeks, next to something to scramble over in full sun. Fruit will stay cleaner if its up in the air as apposed to growing on the ground.

Totty

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Now what with my Cuke's?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 21:44 »
Thanks Totty.  I have put a cane in each pot which their curly whirly tendrils are clinging onto.  I will put some more canes in the pots.  I have no problem finding a sunny spot but one sheltered from this wind may be a problem if it doesn't go away!  I'd planned to keep them 'up' but more with slug damage in mind.  Didn't think about dirty fruit!  How tall/long can I expect them to get?  Just so I know where to place them for 'scrambling'. Thanks!

xx
What to do with my Cuke's?

Started by maxibo on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 21:06
by Yorkie
xx
What to do with my Cuke's?

Started by maxibo on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 07:10
by DD.
xx
Curse of the cuke.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 23:26
by Kristen
xx
Cuke seeds.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 24, 2013, 22:50
by BacktoBasics

Page created in 0.776 seconds with 28 queries.