New to Chickens- any tips on accessories?

• 10 Replies

Aliparty

New to Chickens- any tips on accessories?
« on: May 28, 2013, 17:05 »
Hi, I'm new on here. I'm going to get my first 4 chickens in a few weeks. Any tips on what I'll need to do/buy to prepare for their arrival? All I have done so far is ordered them a house and a pen. I have seen a few lists of the basics (eg 'a feeder') but I'd appreciate any advice about specific products or ways that I can help them to settle in to their new home. Thanks.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: New to Chickens- any tips on accessories?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 18:44 »
Hi, congrats on entering the world of chicken keeping.  :)
Get a nice big drinker as your hens will drink quite a bit when the sun is out. I preffer plastic as they are easy to clean and if needed you can use supliments in them. The cheap ones are rubbish so worth paying a little extra for a good one. These are nice ones but the ones with legs help to keep the water clean. http://www.regencypoultry.com/drinkers/PlasticDrinkers/poultry_green_drinker.htm http://www.regencypoultry.com/drinkers/PlasticDrinkers/10Ltr_Drinker.htm
Go for a feeder with legs and a rain hat, it will keep the feed nice and clean. I have these http://www.regencypoultry.com/feeders/plasticfeeders/heavy_duty_poultry_feeder.htm http://www.regencypoultry.com/feeders/plasticfeeders/2.5kg_ascot_poultry_feeder.htm
One of these will be handy for keeping some mixed grit in http://www.regencypoultry.com/cagecups/galleypots.htm

There are plenty of other shops out there, I just used this one as an example.  ;)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 22:50 »
Your coop and run should be large enough for them.  A guide for size is 2 to 3 sq m clear floor space per bird for the run.  Best to have more than one feeder and drinker to allow the lowest in the pecking order chance to get their fair share.  It also helps in case of leaking/spillage of water as they need fresh water available during the day.  Grit and crushed oyster shell should also be available at all times for the birds to help themselves. 

They will need shelter from wind, rain etc. and a shady spot in case the sun comes out.  :lol:

I use THESE drinkers and various sizes of THESE feeders.  Mine are in a covered run so no need for a rain hat.  If their feed gets damp it soon goes mouldy which is really bad for your hens.  I store my feed in THESE which double up as feeders.

I also have a couple of old galvanised watering cans full of water which they love drinking out of (don't use apple cider vinegar in these).

That should be plenty for you to start on.   :lol:

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 10:18 »
We have started using a 5 litre lidded plastic bucket with water nipples screwed into the bottom for our drinker. Our girls were always kicking dust, miscanthus (and sometimes poo) into the standard water container and I was constantly cleaning it out. The bucket is suspended about 18 inches off the floor and they seem to prefer reaching up to the nipples rather than scooping from the old container, plus it gives them something to peck at. It's easy to top up daily with clean water and I know nothing can get in to contaminate it.  :)  We already had a lidded bucket in the garage, which I just sanitised, but they are really cheap to buy and then I got the nipples from fleabay for just over £1 each.
Have a look at SaoqsTKLvQ8 He has several videos showing you step by step how to make them. Only difference is my water nipples are red not yellow and I only have 3 in my bucket.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 10:36 by Jomtie »
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

grinling

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 18:05 »
I store pellets in the bag in a metal dustbin(freecycle) but only buy a 2kg bag of corn. some corn is put into a plastic container, which when shaken the chooks come running over..this makes it easier to put them away at night as well as them occaisionly wandering out of the garden.
I have a covered area, where the house and food/water is as well as an open run covered in bean netting on top. run areas are secured with dug in wire as well as big door, so house can be moved outside. 2 clay flowerpots with tent pegs to secure to ground with oyster/grit. water and food are suspended to make eating/drinking easier.
No foxes around here, but the odd rat turns up, trapped and disposed of.
I get a bale of straw, bale of sawdust. I use folded newspaper for nestbox and straw on top. Takes a long time to compost so either bin or burn.

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 18:37 »
I store pellets in the bag in a metal dustbin(freecycle) but only buy a 2kg bag of corn. some corn is put into a plastic container, which when shaken the chooks come running over..this makes it easier to put them away at night as well as them occaisionly wandering out of the garden.
I have a covered area, where the house and food/water is as well as an open run covered in bean netting on top. run areas are secured with dug in wire as well as big door, so house can be moved outside. 2 clay flowerpots with tent pegs to secure to ground with oyster/grit. water and food are suspended to make eating/drinking easier.
No foxes around here, but the odd rat turns up, trapped and disposed of.
I get a bale of straw, bale of sawdust. I use folded newspaper for nestbox and straw on top. Takes a long time to compost so either bin or burn.

Did you mean sawdust or dust extracted shavings?

ehs284

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 20:34 »
Another comment on food storage. Don't get a big container for your main store. It rarely gets emptied and so flour moths or similar will make a whole new ecosystem in the bottom.
My experience is that the big round feeders (about £10) are good. With traditional rectangular boxes the birds either stand in them or tip them over (often both).

Aliparty

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 22:45 »
Thank everybody- that's a big help. So  for 4 chickens I might get-

2 feeders for pellets (covered so the food doesn't get mouldy)
2 drinkers,
some sort of pot for putting grit in
something to store the food in (because it will come in a big bag)

(please correct me if I've got it wrong!)

Also might be a daft question but.... when I put the chickens away into their house at night will they need access to food and water?

thanks again.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 09:21 »
If you are getting the chickens at the same time form the same place, you don't really need 2 feeders and drinkers for just 4 chickens. As long as the the ones you buy are big enough the chickens will be able to share without squabbling.

The chickens don't need access to food and water over night, they will sleep through.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 10:10 by JaK »

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 09:24 »
They don't need food or water at night and would only get poo on it.  It can also attract vermin which you don't want.

You will need another container (or a small clay pot) for oyster shell when they start laying.

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 11:14 »
some corn is put into a plastic container, which when shaken the chooks come running over..this makes it easier to put them away at night as well as them occaisionly wandering out of the garden.
This was probably one of the most useful bits of advice I was given. I have some in an old metal tin and trained my girls to come to it when shaken by always shaking it before giving them a treat. It saves a lot of bother trying to catch a flighty chicken that doesn't want to be caught and as soon as I shake the tin they all emerge from wherever they are in the garden and will follow me into the run.

xx
15% off medicines, supplements, and accessories

Started by splash101 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 26, 2012, 12:04
by Auntiemogs
xx
Best chickens for meat? And meat bird tips please!

Started by pandora on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 22:31
by pushrod
xx
help need tips

Started by chicken king on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 19:01
by themagicaltoad1
xx
need some tips

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 12:43
by AmandaH

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 31 queries.