Using Straw on the Allotment

• 20 Replies

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
Re: Using Straw on the Allotment
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 19:09 »
There is a sort of unofficial experiment going on at our allotments. A number of people have gone down the straw route ( free from a local stables) and the rest of us going along the earthing up route. It seems last year one person did the straw cover and he had a potato crop and everybody else did not - due to weather.
As I'm new I am being conventional but willing to learn. Looks like a variation on the no-dig method so does work!

Trillium

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 19:24 »
I just dig my straw into the soil or top it with manure in the fall. Why waste good composting material? It'll break down soon enough.

I've tried the straw on potatoes in the past and unless you add a thick wad of it, it doesn't work. It's okay, it does work, but a hassle to get the straw and spread it around in wads rather than loose bits that will definitely blow away. The trick here is to thoroughly wet down the straw after laying it and it tends to clump and stick better.

Stree

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 20:56 »
My compost has lots of straw in  it due to its main ingredient of poultry muck and bedding.
I always assumed it to be a good thing to have in but researching a bit it seems it does not have much value at all. It does take a lot longer than  expected to really rot down.
I suppose it help keep the soil a bit more open and better for drainage so I do not mind using it.
Only other places I use it are to keep the strawberries off the soil and to start fires of garden rubbish or in my workshop stove.
I have an excess of sawdust and wood chippings ( having a woodworking workshop) but never use these on the compost. It does not rot down quickly and when it does it robs the compost of nutrients rather than put them in.

Bernieboo15

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 22:43 »
Some great opinions on here guys, many thanks...I thought the same when my straw started blowing onto next plot ! oops, bus she's organic too so don't think she'll mind.  i have seen a variety of sizes of potato mounds on my site from mole hills to pyramids so I sort of covered my bases by doing small earth mounds and then because I plant peas in between the rows of spuds I didn't have any more soil so I've used the straw...so, the rest is up to nature  :D...

DaveJNeal

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 23:46 »
Nice big wads of it, like Trillium says. I cover mine with bean netting too, try and keep the best of it in place. I did have good results with earlies under weed/barrier netting, but not the mains.

Best of luck

Dave

Kirpi

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 01:11 »
I use the straw method, but the straw is from a local lady who regularly cleans out 100 guinea pigs and rabbits so the straw is old bedding. It is matted so doesn't end to blow away.

Rots down to rich black compost in the year ready for onions the following year.

Excellent clean potatoes last year.

xx
The last straw

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 20:49
by Livinhope
xx
Straw

Started by Schubunny on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 16:01
by Trillium
xx
Straw

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 20:40
by Dantheman
xx
Straw

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 17:31
by Trillium

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 36 queries.