Joining netting together

• 16 Replies

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
Joining netting together
« on: May 27, 2013, 11:43 »
Hi everyone!

Does anybody have some tips on joining netting together?  I have 50m of 1.5m wide netting for my peas but I need to join them so they are wide enough to cover the 1.3m high pea supports.  I shouldn't have cheaped out and gotten wider stuff but too late now so I will try to tie them together.  I initially tried using garden twine but it keeps breaking and even some of the netting has broken on the strands I have tied together.  It doesn't need to be perfect but do need it to have as few holes as possible so the birds can't get through it.

So would I be better tying it using other string or could I use some kind of tape?  Was considering duck tape to make the joins since if wrapped tight enough it should be water proof'ish and spread the load so it will be less likely to break the netting.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,
Damian
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

alancas

• Experienced Member
Re: Joining netting together
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 12:33 »
hi, you could try a stapler thats what i use.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 12:55 »
I sew mine together

Yes I am that sad

Yes I do it in the winter evenings.

Yes I probably should just buy bigger

But I have saved a lot as it was free

And yes I do find it therapeutic

Hehe it's not the worst job ever is it

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 13:00 »
Well I'm sad too then BQ!I sew mine together with big needle and polypropylene twine which is smooth and goes through the netting quite easily.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 13:03 »
Well I'm sad too then BQ!I sew mine together with big needle and polypropylene twine which is smooth and goes through the netting quite easily.

Glad it's not just me, it doesn't take great skill or effort as neatness is not required, I repair all the holes the same way. These scaffolders just don't take care with this net down here. Honestly don't they know my cabbages need it next

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 13:10 »

Fishing line, you choose the strength.  I made my own curved needle from a bit of wire coat hanger.  ::)  Easy peasy.

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 13:31 »

I'll second that  ;) or is it now thirded?  :D

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 13:50 »
I have been contemplating sewing it together but considered I would be thought odd at best and downright weird at worst. Having said that now I know I will not be alone I can see some sewing coming on  :D
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 14:40 »
That's great, thanks for the replies everyone!  It seems sewing is the most popular method so I'll get some polypropylene thread (or fishing line) and give it a go.  Need to make 4 double width for peas then an extra large one for fruit bushes so I doubt I'll be so keen on sewing once I'm finished them all.  Wish I'd started in winter too hehe.

m1ckz

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 16:24 »
i just hang 1 eah side  hmmmm  no faff lol

Christine

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 18:25 »
If I need to join two lots of netting it usually ends up with a ball of brown twine and basic darning by hand. Not pretty but the twine comes out easy enough for when I want a smaller width.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 21:06 »
Either sow with twine, or use those ickle tiny cable ties you get. Ickle tiny cable ties I think are quicker.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 21:11 »
I must be lazy LOL - I use cheap plastic clothes pegs, bring the 2 pieces of netting together, bend it over like a seam and then peg it.  I've never had problems using this method.

Tea Break

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 21:23 »

I’ve just done that yesterday to my brassicas. I Placed the netting over the pea sticks then stretched over too the next lot of sticks then placed the second net on top of that then woven string between the netting closing any holes. Just make sure you've got about a four inch over lap. You can do it to heighten the netting as well. Hope that helps.
Mike.

seaside

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 21:28 »
The pegs work for me as well ... about one peg every 30 to 40cm. One can always then go back to smaller separate areas.
I must be more careful though with my home grown bamboo hoops. The cut off leave stalks tend to catch the enviromesh.

xx
Enviromesh - Joining together

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 19, 2019, 09:14
by snowdrops
xx
Debris netting or Ikea netting?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:51
by hightide
xx
netting

Started by yummy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2007, 12:05
by yummy
xx
netting?

Started by greenstan77 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 10:08
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.51 seconds with 39 queries.