Should I ?

• 30 Replies

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Should I ?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 20:15 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
How about starting a " Free a Turkey for Christmas" campaign :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I'd rather  " a free Turkey for Christmas " campaign and no not the country  :wink:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Should I ?
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 20:28 »
As some of you already know, Brian is a licensed poultry slaughterman, so its no probs for me, I just let him do it!!!

Pet turkeys are ok, but he said remember, they are a farm animal, not meant for house training!  I was just reading on the river cottage forum someone has just rescued a turkey of 20 weeks old and it sits and watches TV with the dog and cat!

When Brian grew our turkeys when we lived in Essex, they were a lovely strain developed by his friend's Dad and his friend has now retired and Kelly's Turkeys bought the strain off him, so its lost to us now, but we have found someone in Lincoln who used to deal with Brian's friend, and looks like we will be getting 50 day old turkeys in the New Year for us to rear for the freezer!!!  So we are hoping to have some ready for Easter!  They will be T8 turkey stags and they get up to 18kgs.  We've actually got Brian's friend's meat sleeve here and the mesh, so once they are ready, I can roll them like the butchers do!

But I let Brian do all the messy stuff!  Sorry all you turkey rescuers, but you can't beat meat you have grown yourself.  You know what its been fed, you know where its lived and you know its had a good and happy life!

However, we had turkey last weekend from the dreaded Tesc* and it wasn't as nice as home grown, so we've got leg of pork for Christmas!!!!

Selkie

Should I ?
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 20:33 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
looks like we will be getting 50 day old turkeys in the New Year  

:D

GrannieAnnie

Should I ?
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 20:35 »
and no Rosemary, they WON'T be sitting in the lounge with the dog and cat watching Pet Rescue!!!!

Selkie

Should I ?
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 20:45 »
:( You'll just need a bigger sitting room then!

But will you take photos please (of the turkey chicks) -will they be as cute as your hen chicks were?

noshed

Should I ?
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 20:53 »
I reckon I could do it if I had the proper training. I suppose if you eat them you have to confront the fact that they have to be killed.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

GrannieAnnie

Should I ?
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 20:54 »
If you'd like a weekend in the country Noshed, Brian will teach you how to do it!!!

Selkie

Should I ?
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 20:56 »
Quote from: "noshed"
II suppose if you eat them you have to confront the fact that they have to be killed.

That's what I think, but that's easy for me to say...

noshed

Should I ?
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 21:02 »
Cheers GA, I fancy a weekend in the country but I'm not sure those skills would be that useful in Walthamstow

GrannieAnnie

Should I ?
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 21:12 »
You never know Noshed!!!!!

mashauk

Should I ?
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 23:53 »
Quote from: "noshed"
Cheers GA, I fancy a weekend in the country but I'm not sure those skills would be that useful in Walthamstow

I dunno you could off some of those pesky pigeons and magpies that are hanging around!

Jellyhead

Should I ?
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 18:32 »
I cant be doing with this, stomping on snails, wasps or hornets maybe but snails no. Pickem up throw mcsnail away, no need to kill. I am a hypocrite too tho as I do eat meat. Turkeys, well I dont think they are "bog ugly" tho most of my friends do. Will post you all some piccies of my lovelies when I get them. You will be soooo jealous :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

mashauk

Should I ?
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 18:38 »
Quote from: "Frenchconnection"
I cant be doing with this, stomping on snails, wasps or hornets maybe but snails no. Pickem up throw mcsnail away, no need to kill. I am a hypocrite too tho as I do eat meat. Turkeys, well I dont think they are "bog ugly" tho most of my friends do. Will post you all some piccies of my lovelies when I get them. You will be soooo jealous :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I normally throw them over the fence to my neighbour, who doesn't do weeding, in the hope that they'll do some for him, but they don't they just come back to my garden to eat my flowers.  OH likes to count them as he stomps them.  I do think Turkeys are ugly, but that doesn't mean I'd eat one, I just wouldn't want one as a pet :lol: There are lots of ugly & stupid animals (adult sheep for example!) but I still don't eat them as they were once babies :tongue2: I'm dying to know what this giant snail was that was on the menu at a restaurant I visited, anyone any ideas?

Selkie

Should I ?
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 18:41 »
I've had to stop giving snails to my hens, I was feeling too guilty about it; poor things can't help being snails.. :roll:

Jellyhead

Should I ?
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2007, 18:45 »
Giant snail, thought they were kept as pets. I think sheep are pretty too, i would say there must be something wrong with me but I was born in Walthamstow so I cant be that bad.......Can I :?:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 36 queries.