Bird Scarers

• 4 Replies

pdblake

• Experienced Member
Bird Scarers
« on: May 24, 2013, 11:34 »
There's only so much you can net (or only so much net you can afford), and pigeons seem to be a damned nuisance for the rest.

How do you all keep them off? I've been looking at those hawkeye things, with a view to Heath Robinsoning one up myself. Anyone know if they work.

Oddly enough I have more of a problem with the flying rats at home than on the plot, but then the plot does get a lot of feline visitors.

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
Re: Bird Scarers
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 11:50 »
I tried some cut up plastic bottles on the end of canes, windmill type toys and also some old CDs hanging from trees but pigeons didn't seemed bothered by any of them.  This year I'm trying netting which should be successful albeit pricey.  Be interesting to see if others have cheap and effective solutions...
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

kurwin

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 13:13 »
the plot next to ours put plastic birds of prey up, cd.s on string, fleece and long strands of ribbon between poles which apparently hums in the wind and scares birds off. Needless to say the crows ripped the fleece up for nesting, the spuggys simply used the ribbon as a perch, a pigeon kept attacking the fake birds and the cd.s didn't do much :ohmy: I find my kids make the best bird scarers :lol:

Chrysalis

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 20:02 »
Dog or cat?  :tongue2:

We use old video tape as ribbons tied to canes and fluttering in the breeze.  Works a bit! :( ;), but isn't foolproof.  My main problem is sparrows on my spinach, radish and peas... (sounds like a nursery rhyme :blush:).

My best defence is being out in the garden, but as a working person that's not practical for every day.

fatcat1955

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 07:10 »
My old 4 10 used to work a treat. They won't let me use it anymore said it was dangerous.

xx
Man-K’s range of bird scarers

Started by Man-K on Design and Construction

0 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 17:54
by Man-K
xx
Ant-bird netting

Started by argonaut on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post January 28, 2012, 10:35
by arugula
clip
Project 3 The Bird Feeder

Started by Aidy on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2021, 22:38
by Aunt Sally
xx
Bird Bath / Water Butt

Started by TerryB on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post May 12, 2011, 13:27
by arugula

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 36 queries.