Fifty-six and counting...

• 36 Replies

Growster...

Fifty-six and counting...
« on: May 23, 2013, 20:17 »
Your amiable friend Growster, is not referring to his age (it's ten years adrift anyway), it's the number of tomato plants dotted round 'The Turrets', and there's a chance that another six will go in tomorrow...

I don't know why I have this urge to grow so many, but they are such a rewarding crop when they work, and of course, the possibilty of blight is always hovering in the background, so we mitigate the problem by putting them in safe havens everywhere, so we may just get some where others may fail!

Mrs G has instructed me not to do the calcs on how many we'll get, as there's always something bound to go wrong, but just seeing the little chaps out there, well, I feel like an Italian farmer, with a gallon of Chianti in front of him as well as a farm-full of toms...

Buona sera...;0)

Beetroot queen

Re: Fifty-six and counting...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 20:26 »
Oh my I thought I was mad, happy harvesting time hehe get the recipes ready

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 20:29 »

I never thought you're mad, BQ, just one of us!

;0)

It's when you can be out in the garden, feeling whatever, and just grab a few and nosh them while you're thinking about what's next on the list...

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 20:32 »

I never thought you're mad, BQ, just one of us!

;0)

It's when you can be out in the garden, feeling whatever, and just grab a few and nosh them while you're thinking about what's next on the list...

I hate tomatoes, I do eat tiny amounts in things but the round red thing is a thing of nightmares.  :lol: I only grow them for everyone else and chutneys.

Tomatoes actually give me the shivers  :wub:

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 20:39 »
Ooops, Growster's culinary advice just got clobbered by someone who knows better than him about liking toms...;0(

That's a new one on me about them giving you the shivers though! Come to think about it, my SIL hates them as well, and I'd totally forgotten that!

Bet your apples are better than ours though! I've been singing 'Coates come up from Somerset' all day for some unknown reason, it must have been because you posted here some time recently! (or the fact that we bought some cider at Twongos this morning!)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 21:11 »
Buonasera Growster.
Fingers crossed that all the toms stay safe out there....just ignore BQ there are a few odd people out there - but we don't have to listen to'em  ::)  :D

After the Chianti we can all sing ............ "Volare oh oh, cantare oh oh oh oh"

0CHIxX7HkNE

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 21:24 »
Under the "I am growing lots of varieties to find out which ones I prefer the best", I thought I was doing well at 48 plants (2 of each varieties) - I bow to your tomato superiority!!! 

Now, of course, if you are happy to slosh a bit of Chianti towards an (almost) plot neighbour similarly obsessed with tomatoes - who is also prone to bursting into song after a couple of large glasses - you are in good company!!!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 21:45 »
I've got 18 tomato plants, in a greenhouse with room for 6 at best, and it is a rare summer in this frozen north-east that we can grow toms outdoors. I've got a growhouse from wilko's, that's room for 2 more.  What am I going to do with the others?

Anne

angelavdavis

• An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 21:52 »
I've got 18 tomato plants, in a greenhouse with room for 6 at best, and it is a rare summer in this frozen north-east that we can grow toms outdoors. I've got a growhouse from wilko's, that's room for 2 more.  What am I going to do with the others?

Stick them under a few 2L fizzy drink bottles with the bottoms cut off until they get too big, then build/buy a cloche to keep them snug?

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 22:02 »
ext one is yours - promise!
Buonasera Growster.
Fingers crossed that all the toms stay safe out there....just ignore BQ there are a few odd people out there - but we don't have to listen to'em  ::)  :D

After the Chianti we can all sing ............ "Volare oh oh, cantare oh oh oh oh"

0CHIxX7HkNE

I've just got 'Deeper understanding' on the earphones, Mums, but you may well be right...!

Next one is your link - promise!

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 22:04 »
Under the "I am growing lots of varieties to find out which ones I prefer the best", I thought I was doing well at 48 plants (2 of each varieties) - I bow to your tomato superiority!!! 

Now, of course, if you are happy to slosh a bit of Chianti towards an (almost) plot neighbour similarly obsessed with tomatoes - who is also prone to bursting into song after a couple of large glasses - you are in good company!!!
You know where we are, Angela! Talbot Rd plots, right in the middle...

Chianti may well be home-brewed elderberry hooch, but hey - what's that against a liking for fun here?

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 22:06 »

Nice warm wall, Anne! Pop them in a biggish pot, preferably with a tray for watering if you have a spare, Stick a cane in next to them, and say the occasional prayer!

That should do it!

angelavdavis

• An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 22:20 »

You know where we are, Angela! Talbot Rd plots, right in the middle...

Chianti may well be home-brewed elderberry hooch, but hey - what's that against a liking for fun here?

I am really meaning to make the journey this summer (with children in tow if that is OK?), let's hope we get a summer.....!

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 23:18 »
No more warm walls left, all occupied by something!  56 tomatoes!  that is the stuff of dreams for me!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 23:37 »
I did have 20 in Mum's conservatory (before the 'sliding off the tray' incident  :().  Now down to 7, so glad I had another 20 potted on (followed by another 20 'just in case')...and..er...another 10 to see what they were like.  ::)  Still, better to have far too many than not enough!  :lol:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

xx
counting asparagus!

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 30, 2011, 09:41
by lucywil

Page created in 0.879 seconds with 38 queries.