Raspberry From seed

• 21 Replies

Beetroot queen

Re: Raspberry From seed
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 14:05 »
Each to their own, but nothing wrong with poundland if when you look at a cane it has no sign of life leave it be, my tayberries had shoots on them so I took the risk and paid a pound, happy to report all three doing great.

You can say the same about b and q and most garden centres, let's be honest and they don't charge a pound. Off to my "don't knock poundland corner again"

And no I don't work for them.  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 17:05 »
If it's got no leaves, then scratch the stem with your fingernail - if it's green underneath - then it's alive and well  :)
from another poundland buyer  ;)

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 21:02 »
If it's got no leaves, then scratch the stem with your fingernail - if it's green underneath - then it's alive and well  :)
See that is why this forum is great, tips and hints on buying as well as growing. Thank you, I can buy with a bit more confidence.
small scale gardener, large scale eater

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 13:59 »
See that is why this forum is great, tips and hints on buying as well as growing. Thank you, I can buy with a bit more confidence.
Ok with just a little update, went to poundland and did the scratch test on about half a dozen raspberry canes and twice that thorn-less gooseberry plants, all brown and no green, the anemic shoots from the buds were all pale and brittle. So I didn't buy anything. So Thank you MoS you've saved me a bit of money there, I'll be looking to take softwood cutting from the plants on my mini-plot allotment as I'm told you can take them at the start of summer.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 14:03 »
If you already have some raspberries I wouldn't worry too much as they a prolific at sending off runners.

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 14:56 »
If you already have some raspberries I wouldn't worry too much as they a prolific at sending off runners.
the two plots are about 2 miles apart, the runners might take a bit of time to grow that far :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 15:03 »
the two plots are about 2 miles apart, the runners might take a bit of time to grow that far :)

Looking at mine I doubt it  ::) just dig up runners and transplant.

xx
Raspberry plants from seed

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2019, 22:42
by mumofstig
question
Runner bean seed directly in ground and plant root/seed attacks

Started by harwood7pccc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:26
by diggerjoe
xx
Cheap seed trays and seed offers

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 07:49
by lucywil
xx
spring onion seed and rocket seed

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 10:19
by AmandaLouise

Page created in 0.679 seconds with 38 queries.