Raspberry From seed

• 21 Replies

tadpole

• Experienced Member
Raspberry From seed
« on: May 23, 2013, 10:14 »
My question is simple, what are the advantages or disadvantages in growing raspberry from seeds. I know it takes a year or two longer to get fruit, but other than the time it takes, is there other problems or advantages from doing it from seeds.
Same with black/red currents.

I fancy trying it, but if I get a plant that give me nothing or next to nothing in three years time I don't think I'll bother, but if I get a plant in three years time that is as good as or better than growing from canes, I'm up for the challenge.
If viable to grow from seed then:-
What good varieties are there that can be grown from seed?
Where to get the seeds from and how much do good seeds cost?
Part of the reason for my question is I'm not made of money, and seeds seem to be a cheaper option. secondly If you get 40 - 50 seeds in a packet and maybe 15- 20 plants grow to fruit,  that has to be better than paying the cost  price of one cane, for the seeds.
small scale gardener, large scale eater

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Raspberry From seed
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 11:10 »
I can't think of any advantage really - finding seed is not easy, but, you could always save the seed from a variety you like  ;)

The only place I can find is selling seed from mixed varieties
http://www.plant-world-seeds.com/store/view_seed_item/2549

However, if it's just the cost that's putting you off, raspberries throw out runners at a rate of knots so a couple of plants would pretty soon give you a row if you split the runners of on a regular basis ;)
Or ask for some from from someone who has loads - usually growing where they're not wanted  :D

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 11:36 »
I can't think of any advantage really - finding seed is not easy, but, you could always save the seed from a variety you like  ;)

The only place I can find is selling seed from mixed varieties
http://www.plant-world-seeds.com/store/view_seed_item/2549

However, if it's just the cost that's putting you off, raspberries throw out runners at a rate of knots so a couple of plants would pretty soon give you a row if you split the runners of on a regular basis ;)
Or ask for some from from someone who has loads - usually growing where they're not wanted  :D

I agree with all of the above, especially the growing where they're not wanted. I have managed to rehome some with the help on here.

Once you have them they make their homes very quickly indeed  :blink:

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 12:18 »
thank you for your replies. I'll start saving for a couple of plants then, hopefully they'll will run riot in the near future and grow enough to make me some raspberry whisky.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 12:26 »
Have you got a Poundland shop round your way?

They have canes for.................I don't have to tell you the price do I?  ::)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 12:30 »
thank you for your replies. I'll start saving for a couple of plants then, hopefully they'll will run riot in the near future and grow enough to make me some raspberry whisky.

Well remind you of that in the near future  :lol:

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 12:33 »

They have canes for.................I don't have to tell you the price do I?  ::)
I'm a bit weary of pound shops for plants, they can't be very good quality, if the shop is selling them and making a profit on them, can they?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 12:36 »

I'm a bit weary of pound shops for plants, they can't be very good quality, if the shop is selling them and making a profit on them, can they?

It's a risk as always in poundland but remember it is a pound. My three tayberries all took very well, ok I lost the blueberry I had but the very expensive blueberry I brought from the garden centre isn't much better looking.

I am happy to take a risk with poundland, sometimes it works sometimes not.  :D

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 12:41 »
You're right of course,  it is only a pound. I could spend £2.30 on  raspberry seeds and have none come up.  I'll have to have a hunt round and see if there is a pound shop still selling gardening stuff.
thanks

Beetroot queen

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 12:51 »
You're right of course,  it is only a pound. I could spend £2.30 on  raspberry seeds and have none come up.  I'll have to have a hunt round and see if there is a pound shop still selling gardening stuff.
thanks

I would also have a chat to plot neighbours, if your ever down near Yeovil give me a shout as I am always pulling them out, I have a few new buckets of runners, they look a bit rough right now but they'll put back all the others have.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 15:03 »
It may also be worth looking on Freecycle.   :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 17:02 »
I started a new raspberry patch two years ago - bought 12 canes from a reputable local nursery (NOT a garden centre) for about a tenner.  Admittedly these where just small whips and looked a bit miserable BUT two years down the line they have bushed up wonderfully and going bonkers.....
Death OR Cake ???

Headgardener22

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 19:16 »
Surely if its money saving you're after, there's somebody on another allotment nearby who's got some runners to spare?

They might even know what variety they are.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 19:33 »

Hi Tad... Pound shop gets "end of run extras" products at cheaper than cheap rates so they can sell for a pound. Even the onions sets, spuds and fruit bushes are "end of run extras".  Like the growmore and BFB in normal shops is 3.99 or so.. Does this mean you wont buy growmore for a quid because it may be suspect? Nooo their stuff is normally good except for the real junk they also have.  But in saying that you do have to look at the condition of the plants. Sometimes they are way past their best!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 13:46 »

Hi Tad... Pound shop gets "end of run extras" products at cheaper than cheap rates so they can sell for a pound. Even the onions sets, spuds and fruit bushes are "end of run extras".  Like the growmore and BFB in normal shops is 3.99 or so.. Does this mean you wont buy growmore for a quid because it may be suspect? Nooo their stuff is normally good except for the real junk they also have.  But in saying that you do have to look at the condition of the plants. Sometimes they are way past their best!!
So let me get this right,  what you are saying is poundland sell "end of line" and "Junk" plus I have to watch for plants that "are past their best"  ::) So really I have every reason to be weary of buying plants from poundland, plants that have been hanging about unsold in other shops warehouses, and then sent to poundland for their staff to not to know how to look after them.

And I'm meant to know which 'stick like cane' is junk and is past its best from a 'stick like cane' that is prime for planting. At least with seeds I can sow thirty in my own compost and watch it grow all for the price of a single (possibly) dead stick from poundland. I'm a new boy on my new allotment and don't feel I know anyone enough to go begging stuff from strangers, especially as I have not seen anyone on 95% of the allotment at my new site. 

xx
Raspberry plants from seed

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2019, 22:42
by mumofstig
question
Runner bean seed directly in ground and plant root/seed attacks

Started by harwood7pccc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:26
by diggerjoe
xx
spring onion seed and rocket seed

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 10:19
by AmandaLouise
xx
Cheap seed trays and seed offers

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 07:49
by lucywil

Page created in 0.709 seconds with 39 queries.