A sad sad day

• 55 Replies

Bodger

A sad sad day
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2007, 11:24 »
There shouldn't be any fox cubs about at the moment.

Day light fox attacks are a nightmare and its something that I dread. You always have it in the back of your mind that its going to happen again one day.

I would suggest that you supply your chicken coup with a small roofed run and that you only give your birds free range as a treat when you are at home to look out for them. Its dark nights now, but in the summer you could let them out when you get in from work for a few hours and then they would return to roost and safety.

Its a great shame, because there's nothing nicer than seeing your chickens enjoying their freedom.

Viv

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.oldmotherhubbardsgarden.blogspot.com
A sad sad day
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2007, 16:15 »
I am so sorry to hear of your lossess. Don't give up.
I have lost quite a lot over the last few weeks due to the Fox, all during the day, mine are free range and he was  taking one every other day, it was heartbreaking.
I have declared war and am using all types of moving objects to keep him wary of coming down. I am aware that I will lose more, its just about keeping one step ahead of him all the time.
I think that if I had them in a run then I would have lost all mine by now.
Happiest in the countryside.
Breathe deeply, and let the butterflies fly in formation!

babe

• elvis king of chooks
A sad sad day
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2007, 22:12 »
fraggle, rainbow, chicken and popcorn are all back to normal, eating, drinking and running around both gardens.

Elvis is taking a little longer. he's now holding his head up again, but still coming to get lots of cuddles. his neck has healed well but the shock and stress seemed to have made him a bit of a mummies boy. he's improving daily and hopefully as the days get lighter he'll start to get back to hi normal nosey into every thing self.

im now waiting the arrival of a new fox watch, hopefully i will then have the whole area covered.

im really not keen on enclosing them in any type of run. i will beat the fox...at any cost :twisted:

Selkie

A sad sad day
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2007, 00:12 »
Thanks for the update Babe, poor Elvis though - give him a cuddle from me please :D

babe

• elvis king of chooks
A sad sad day
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2007, 00:18 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"
Thanks for the update Babe, poor Elvis though - give him a cuddle from me please :D

im starting to think that maybe the reason he's nearly 9months old and not crowing yet.

i hugged all the man out of him and turned him into a gay  :shock:

WG.

A sad sad day
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2007, 00:20 »
Show him your calendar & see what effect that has  :wink:

Selkie

A sad sad day
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2007, 00:20 »
Aw but does it matter? He's just gorgeous.

(am trying to keep my posts quick tonight as my computer keeps dying)

babe

• elvis king of chooks
A sad sad day
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2007, 00:22 »
oh great WG, i just keep giving you the ammo.....dont you miss anything?? :oops:

WG.

A sad sad day
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2007, 00:26 »
Quote from: "babe"
oh great WG, i just keep giving you the ammo.....dont you miss anything?? :oops:
:wink:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
A sad sad day
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2007, 07:03 »
Quote from: "WG."
Quote from: "babe"
:wink:

It's not just him, you'd be suprised at what we pick up & stockpile!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
A sad sad day
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2007, 09:58 »
Don't worry if he's a "late crower"! I have a cockerel that pretended to be a girl for a long time and when "he" started crowing it was and still is a bit pathetic! I think it's because he has a bigger, stronger cockerel brother who rules the roost (apart from when the naughty peacock decides he's boss!)

The main thing is he's on the mend, hope he continues to get better..lots of cuddles are ok, what would we do without them?!

Judi

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 37 queries.