A sad sad day

• 55 Replies

wildeone

A sad sad day
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 08:56 »
oh babe i'm so sorry!!! Poor poor things ...... I have no chickens so i can't advise on cheering them up but i hope they get through today! Sending hugs and love your way!!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
A sad sad day
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 09:20 »
:cry: Oh Babe....  I've just caught up with this thread and I'm so sad for you  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

How did the evil creature get past your fox proofing  :?:

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
A sad sad day
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 11:20 »
Oh I am so sorry for you its every owners nightmare come true.

((((hugs)))) for you as you do so need them
thoughts are with you
xxxxx
Sandra

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
A sad sad day
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 11:25 »
Oh Babe, I've only just seen this one too.  I am so very sorry for you.  The others will come round eventually, but they've been through a really bad experience as you have.

Blooming foxes!!!!!!

Thinking of you!!!!!

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.traffordangling.co.uk
A sad sad day
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 11:35 »
babe thats awfull  :(  :(  

hows the nasty piece of work managed to get in do you know???

hope your other birds are recovering a little after their ordeal x

babe

• elvis king of chooks
A sad sad day
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 12:00 »
all 5 are now bunched in a corner, never seen such a sorrowful looking bunch.

they arent scratching about, and not eating anything, ive tried all their favourites. it could be bewildering going from 14 down to just the 5 of them too

had another good look at them in the daylight, poor elvis has a nasty bite on the back of his neck, ive purple sprayed him, but he's looking very sorry for himself.

they must be absolutely petrified.

the fox is clearing a 6ft fence, foxwatch is working. we think she may have babies in the waste ground alongside my garden and is desperately hungry, she was in and out of the garden all through the night.

from now on, if im out the chooks will be going in.

wildeone

A sad sad day
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 12:13 »
could you maybe put of some cheap dog food well away from your garden but still on the foxes territory so that they are not so tempted? Or am i being overly sentimental?

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
A sad sad day
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 12:14 »
poor buggas  :(

bet it'll take ages before they go back to normal, the fear must stay with them for a good while i'd imagine.

lots of people on here told me about how good foxes are at scaling fences so i did ours at about 7 foot but the ducks are in their house every night with the  little door closed and the run door closed too. dont see any reason to ever let that change after reading your post, it just doesn't  seem worth it.

its awful, cant imagine how you feel and hope it gets better for you x

mercury

A sad sad day
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 12:20 »
Quote from: "babe"
aww thanks everyone, im up and down like a yoyo checking on the others. its too many all at once, i knos its silly but i still cant get my head around it. and its only here that people understand.

Theres nothing silly about it babe, all our shoulders are available anytime anybody needs one, we all know how you feel :(  :(  :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
A sad sad day
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 13:00 »
Quote from: "daveinmanc"
the ducks are in their house every night with the  little door closed and the run door closed too. dont see any reason to ever let that change after reading

It was day time whe the fox got into babe's birds Dave  :(

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
A sad sad day
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 13:21 »
yeah i did read that A.S, just saying that thats what we've done, and after reading this post  that wont change.

they're in view of the kitchen window when they're outside bar going round the back of the shed so keeping an eye on thems not too difficult but i know you cant always have an eye on them the whole time they're out.  

suppose if they're determined enough the little sods will get in by hook or by crook, all you can do is your best to make it as difficult as possible . . . . .

Selkie

A sad sad day
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2007, 13:31 »
Babe, hope the surviving ones pick up soon and start eating and scratching about again; though I'd imagine the whole experience must be terribly traumatic for them.

Elvis did well to survive; he's very lucky.

Hope they make a full recovery, I know you will look after them well.

Big hugs
Rosemaryxx

Jellyhead

A sad sad day
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2007, 13:55 »
So sad and sorry to read this posting Babe, I really feel for you. I havent got any words of wisdom Im afraid. I would possibly put the stressed ones in a puppy cage for 24 hours with water straw and food in it. Big big hugs to you :cry:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Fat Hen

A sad sad day
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2007, 18:08 »
Sorry to hear about your chucks babe :cry:   know anyone with a shotgun :evil:  :?:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
A sad sad day
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2007, 18:08 »
they went off to bed at about 4pm, elvis seems a little bit brighter, will see how he goes through the night. still very shakey on his legs and keeping his head down.

ive just been and checked on them....again, feeling very paranoid. they have snuggled down in two of the nest boxes, they obviously feel a bit safer in them.

ive been and gotten a giant pack of wood shavings and some straw, so tomorrow i'll be giving the coop a good clean, get rid of the foxy smell and make it a bit cosier, must seem very open and empty with just the 5 of them left.

its been so quiet today, didnt realise how much id miss the ducks chattering away all day.

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 36 queries.