Help - I'm under attack

• 34 Replies

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
Re: Help - I'm under attack
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 15:20 »
Is it safe for chickens to eat slugs?  I often let them roam around while I'm digging and they love eating all the larvae and worms I uncover but not come across many slugs, yet.  For that reason I've avoided using slug killers so I don't poison the chickens and also because I'm hoping to build an army of frogs to do the work for me.
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

battychicken

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 21:25 »
 A couple of my experinces so far..........Chickens are fab at controlling slugs but mine always ate everything else too :wub:
Last year in the hideously wet summer I chose to use the blue pellets for the first time, both at the plot and in the garden at home. I won't bother again as slugs still got into everything. I had a pond in the garden many years ago and the frogs still come back to look for it every year but last year I kept finding dead frogs. So this year its back to basics and hard work. I have barriers and beer ,will be collecting seaweed,getting the kids to make salt baths and i have very tough boots! Only problem is my daughter always tries to keep the snails as pets and they always escape! I am thinking of trying the nemaslug too. But its very expensive. I'll maybe change my mind about the blue pellets when I have no strawberries left! :(
The batty chick

Totty

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 21:31 »
I use growing success pellets in edible areas, and slugclear liquid for ornamentals. The morning after watering an open border with the stuff yielded over 50! Slugs and snails in an area 8 ft square. Not suitable for veggies though.

Totty

al78

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 22:01 »
small pots of cheapest bitter you can find positioned in various places around your brassicas etc ,these are great traps,i catching loads think its the hoppy smell attracting them into the pool of death,read sugary water solution also works but it didnt for me and also yeast water solution but again this didnt work for me alongside the beer traps,so its beer traps for me  :)

I think I'd cry using even the cheapest bitter in this fashion!

I'm fortunate there in that I was able to get hold of out-of-date lager that the bridge club was selling really cheap to get rid of it. It works up to a point, although it is a bit tedious to re-fill a dozen jars at 11pm by torchlight every few days.

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 23:03 »
I use growing success pellets and beer traps ,which are great.I hate the metaldehyde pellets,I've seen many cats die from being poisoned by it  :(

grendel

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 23:23 »
my mum always did night patrols with an old pair of scissors, half slugs dont tend to survive long.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 06:30 »
I found copper wire worked around courgettes etc. I'm going to try the bran this year, I've been told if you lay the bran as a food outer barrier and then an inner barrier, eggshells, wire or similar they fill up on the bran and can't be  bothered to be brave and cross the painful bit. Will let you know.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

grendel

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 07:48 »
we used a 6" wide strip of sharp sand around an area full of pots, it worked well at first but once it got a good soaking it didnt stop them.
Grendel

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 07:57 »
I went to check my leeks this morning on the way to work and found a huge slug on the side of the pot I have them in. The pot is on a shelf 4' high in a poly green house!?  :ohmy:  ???

Leeks are doing well though  :D

Jim
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 15:44 »
I went to check my leeks this morning on the way to work and found a huge slug on the side of the pot I have them in. The pot is on a shelf 4' high in a poly green house!?  :ohmy:  ???

Leeks are doing well though  :D

Jim
Slugs and snails are astounding athletes despite their slowness! :ohmy:
I also think they have super abilities at smelling... :D

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 15:55 »
My soil is quite sandy which, I think, helps but it's 'blue pellets of death' for me too. it is satisfying to find the slimy devils all shrivelled up and the plants un-munched.  :dry:
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 18:20 »
I've just come back from our plot and all I can say is: LET THE BATTLE COMMENCE!!!! :mad:

I planted out my lovely cabbages and calabrese carefully nurtured from seed, it was late Monday when I'd finished and didn't want to just shake a load of pellets all over the place so didn't put anything down (I know, I know  ::)).  Checked yesterday morning, all ok.  Checked again this morning and they'd been nibbled. 

So.... I have put out beer traps, scattered egg shells around each plant and if they DARE go any further then they will find a sprinkle of the blue pellets of doom.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 19:26 »
I use growing success pellets and beer traps ,which are great.I hate the metaldehyde pellets,I've seen many cats die from being poisoned by it  :(

This has made me rethink Flump.  I'm not a cat fan, but I go organic at home and have never used them before, but the (overgrown) lottie snails are just everywhere  :ohmy: I've got pinking-sheared bottle collars on my runners and covered the blue pellets with mesh but having realised today that the chard is being pigeoned have netting over that the lettuce area which should keep the cat who-trots-through-my-lottie and digs-thing-up safe.
Little blighter.  It won't thank me, but I'll allow for that when using them.

taytors

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 19:39 »
I'm trying  wool pellets this year  :)nothing been nibbled so far :)
Famous last words  :)
scrumpy is organic and one of your five a day.

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 20:34 »

This has made me rethink Flump.  I'm not a cat fan, but I go organic at home and have never used them before, but the (overgrown) lottie snails are just everywhere  :ohmy: I've got pinking-sheared bottle collars on my runners and covered the blue pellets with mesh but having realised today that the chard is being pigeoned have netting over that the lettuce area which should keep the cat who-trots-through-my-lottie and digs-thing-up safe.
Little blighter.  It won't thank me, but I'll allow for that when using them.

Thank you.Cats love the taste of them ,you see.I used to work in a vets.Horrible way to go.Saw slug bait poisoning,Paraquat (which I hope farmers don't use any more!) and anti freeze poisoning as animals like that too when people empty it on the road  :(

xx
Cabbage Attack Help Please!!

Started by sarah44 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 09:30
by sarah44
xx
Fig tree under attack

Started by Beloved Porcupine on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 10, 2018, 20:30
by Beloved Porcupine
xx
attack of the pigeon

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 02, 2012, 15:54
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Aubergines under attack!

Started by oldcow on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 12:25
by oldcow

Page created in 0.548 seconds with 31 queries.