no sign of spuds ...

• 24 Replies

rookie1

• Experienced Member
no sign of spuds ...
« on: May 19, 2013, 10:46 »
Hi all - I planted my seed potatoes (2nd earlies Maris Peer) on April 20th and there's still no sign of 'em ... Should I give up hope, or will they emerge when they're ready? Is there anything I should be doing, other than waiting??
thanks for any advice.

LilacSandy

Re: no sign of spuds ...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 10:52 »
I only have a couple of tops showing on my patch, I would just sit back and wait a little longer for them.

Benandbill

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 11:08 »
I planted mine on Good Friday and still not a peep.  Worried!  :ohmy:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 11:25 »
I planted mine on 14th April and thought the first was up a week or so ago, but the more I look at it the more I think it's probably a volunteer.

The others only started appearing within the last few days - it's been very dry followed by rather wet and cool so I I'm not really surprised they're slow - depth of planting makes a difference too, of course.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 11:40 »
The trouble is if you mound them up at planting time, they take a lot longer to grow through..........and any heat from the sun doesn't warm them up easily; although, of course, it does act as a deep layer of frost protection.

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 14:54 »
Have a gentle dig down and find one. That will tell you exactly what is happening.

fatbelly

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 15:57 »
My Mains & 2nd Earlies are all up and showing but my 1st Earlies planted on the 1st April, which was 3 days before the rest are still not showing.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 17:11 »

The spud foliage I 'chopped' last year due to blight, are showing and coming along fine!  Don't know what I'll find when I dig them up (or if they get blight again this year)! ! !  :unsure:

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 21:21 »
thanks all for your views. It seems I'm not the only one with slow spuds.  Will give them a little longer before I investigate ... should I be watering them? All the books say there's no need at this stage....

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 21:39 »

The spud foliage I 'chopped' last year due to blight, are showing and coming along fine!  Don't know what I'll find when I dig them up (or if they get blight again this year)! ! !  :unsure:

Cheers,   Tony.

They may well have carried blight over the Winter. They could get blight first and then spread it to your other potatoes and everybody else near you. Classic case of how blight outbreaks occur. You could be very unpopular withyour neighbours.

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 22:27 »
thanks all for your views. It seems I'm not the only one with slow spuds.  Will give them a little longer before I investigate ... should I be watering them? All the books say there's no need at this stage....
All ours were planted in the third week in April - they are coming through now and got their first earthing up today. There's no need to water them at this stage (I don't water tatties in the ground at all as we tend to get more than enough from the sky!).  Best of luck, sure they'll be through in their own time.

thundghh

• Greenhouse Heaters
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 23:34 »
I wouldn't worry too much at the moment - there's always the possibility the up and down weather of the last few months has caused them not to know whether they are coming or going ..  :lol:

Plot_29@_Lady_Mary

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 05:54 »
My Mains & 2nd Earlies are all up and showing but my 1st Earlies planted on the 1st April, which was 3 days before the rest are still not showing.
Same thing happen to mine! I dug up the earlies to have a peek and found them all rotted. Luckily Home Bargains had some real bargains and bought 4 bags of still healthy looking early spuds for 29p per bag!

homegrown

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 15:43 »
Mine were planted similar times in bags.averaging a foot tall now. 1st 2nd and main

Jackypam

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 22:02 »
So does that mean that I should dig up the volunteers from last years blighty crop?  I was just celebrating my future money free, effort free potato crop and feeling pleased with myself!

xx
Leeks, no sign

Started by outmowed on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 09, 2009, 23:08
by rictic
xx
no sign of marrows

Started by Sue33 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 15:52
by karooba007
xx
No sign of radish

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 18, 2009, 20:38
by out4nowt
xx
No sign of carrots?

Started by tudou on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 29, 2011, 20:27
by Thephoenix572

Page created in 0.935 seconds with 38 queries.