Differences in breeds

• 5 Replies

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
Differences in breeds
« on: May 18, 2013, 12:44 »
Having just lost one of our hens  :(  and being now down to two, we will be looking to get another two girls. The original 4 were sold to us as a ranger, a blacktail, a copper black and a coucou marans. We only have the copper black and blacktail left now. A local supplier (where we buy our feed etc) has vaccinated POL warrens for sale. I've been looking online and am totally confused as photos of birds that look identical seem to have different names as breeds. Are rangers and warrens the same?
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

Casey76

Re: Differences in breeds
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 17:35 »
Hi jomtie, yes, basically they are the same cross. A "gold" cockerel on a "silver" hen will produce white cockerels (yellow chicks) and red hens (buff chicks). Depending on the hatchery they may use different parent stock, and over time the parent stock becomes particular to one hatchery, but yes, they are all "production reds"

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 19:19 »
If you are wanting your hens to last longer I would go for a different breed.  The egg laying machine ones usually only last a few years.   :(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 12:18 »
I know and we don't have our hens for egg production primarily. We don't force laying over the winter with lighting for example. They are pets that provide eggs as a bonus. Commercially we pay a fortune per egg  ;) but enjoy the girls being around and have found that the classic 'red' hens are a nice temperament. We had a lot of health problems with our Coucou Marans and she was very broody. We lost her before she was a year old due to a tumour on her oviduct. :(  I would quite like to have some Buff Orpingtons, as I've heard that they are lovely natured birds, but can't find a breeder locally. I've attached a photo of Geraldine who we lost yesterday.
471406_3671515552901_1273435178_o.jpg

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 18:38 »
Geraldine was a really pretty hen.

You could get in touch with the Orpington Club to see if there are any breeders near you, here is the LINK 

I hope you find what you are looking for.   :)

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 08:49 »
It is best not to mix vaccinated and unvaccinated birds. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Are all Large Breeds Broody Breeds?

Started by Colernehens on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 22:09
by uba
xx
Would a new coop help settle differences between old and new hens?

Started by Pepperpincushion on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 15:20
by joyfull
xx
What breeds do you have and which do you think are the best?

Started by lucyeff on The Hen House

33 Replies
Last post October 24, 2007, 20:34
by Fenland Girl
xx
breeds

Started by miller15 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 22:11
by Foxy

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 37 queries.