escaped hen

• 4 Replies

chelseablue

• Experienced Member
escaped hen
« on: December 18, 2007, 15:08 »
hi

we had an escaped hen today, she was frantically running the length of the run trying to get back in bless, anyway she is safe and sound, thing is I have no idea how she got out, our fence is 9ft high although she may well have got onto the coop but then she would still need to fly up 5ft and 3ft over to reach the fence, how high can they fly up?  I have now clipped all their wings this afternoon as I dont want it happening again

:?
pauline

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
How high can they fly?!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 18:12 »
You'd be surprised how high some hens can fly especially if they're bantams and can start from the henhouse! I have peacocks who fly in and out of the hen run and one day as I stood watching, one of the little hens (mum to the peacocks as she hatched the eggs and reared them!), followed one of the peacocks straight over the fence! She's never done it before and never since but she obviously decided that if he was going out then so was she! She looked quite surprised as she landed over the electric fence and luckily I was there to return her and...clip a wing!

Lucky you got her before....

Judi

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
escaped hen
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 18:32 »
A flighty hen can flap up to 5 feet high with a clipped wing.  They naturally roost in trees so I've no idea how high they can fly with all their wing feathers intact  :shock:

chelseablue

• Experienced Member
escaped hen
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 18:46 »
I hope she doesnt try it again, just glad we found her first and not mr fox!!!!

Fat Hen

escaped hen
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 18:48 »
Hmm I reckon i'm going to have to clip my ex bats wings, they've not flown out of garden yet however have demonstrated that they can fly as they fly lenghth of garden to me if they are at opposite end when they see me.

I've also found one standing on top of the BBQ recently peering through the hedge.  Maybe it's the cold weather and she's trying to warm her toes, :lol:  I haven't the heart to tell her it's turned off and likely to stay that way until spring.  Though if it stays fine maybe a BBQ'd Christmas dinner :lol:

xx
Pheasant escaped

Started by Thingy on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 16:01
by 8doubles
xx
Help - duckling escaped into pond.

Started by rossivale on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 19:21
by Bonniebean
xx
strange noise - escaped chicken???

Started by babe on The Hen House

51 Replies
Last post November 12, 2007, 23:20
by muntjac
xx
My chickens escaped and ate some weed killed greens, any advice?

Started by dheath44 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 08:02
by ehs284

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 36 queries.