Help for a newbie please... local poultry vet wanted

• 16 Replies

arty

help I am new to chicken keeping (2 weeks) I acquired 4 chickens when I found them wandering by the road ....they are obviously ex batts and a bit worse for wear  missing feathers and red bottoms and wing feathers cut very severely)....have tried to find owner but no luck so have decided to keep them. they are laying really well 4 eggs a day but I think one of them has a compacted crop .I have read here about feeding maggots or using olive oil ..i have been massaging her crop but as i am  inexperienced in the ways of chicken I feel I ought to see a vet. can anyone recommend a vet in my area Southampton that won't charge an arm and a leg for consultation...thanks in anticipation for your help ......Arty

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Help for a newbie please... local poultry vet wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 22:23 »
Welcome to the site arty and well done in rescuing the hens.  The list we refer to is on this LINK  don't know if there is one listed near you.

You could try contacting your local RSPCA or PDSA as you have rescued them they may help.  Good luck and let us know how you get on.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

arty

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 09:01 »
Thank you in fact I checked the link and my own vet is a chicken lady ......but she is not in until next Monday.........so talking to RSPCA might be an option......I have made an appt with my vet but don't think I should wait till then in case it is a compacted crop ...what do you think should I try the maggot option and /or olive oil and massage ? do these things clear or does it need vet intervention ? the chicken (named Dove by my daughter) is very bright and lively but very thin with a big crop which may look much bigger because of lack of feathering ........sorry lots of questions trying to read up as much as I can to get up to speed
thanks again Arty

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 10:32 »
Some members have had success with impacted crop.  You could try the maggots or oil but if you do both together the oil might kill the maggots.  I would try the RSPCA as they usually have a vet on standby and they may be able to get you an appointment quicker.

Is her crop still full on a morning?

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 10:44 »
I have 5 girls, one of whom is a greedy little madam, and i've had problems with impacted crop a few times with her.  White fishing maggots have not let me down yet.  I give her about 4 handfuls spaced out through the day, and the following morning, her crop is nice and flat.  First time she had it i made the mistake of buying the mixed coloured maggots, and ended up with red yolks which didnt look appetising at all, so make sure you ask for the white ones....thats if you cant get into the vets... Good luck, and good on you for giving them a home.

arty

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 09:59 »
Thanks for the help I have given olive oil (small quantities one lot mixed with her bran and a crushed garlic clove) and have been massaging  her crop) This morning don't know if I am imagining it but it seems smaller and there was a very longing fibrous poo in the shed .......could be hers who knows. I have just bought some maggots and tried to feed them but chickens very suspicious and won't go near them ...in fact looked pretty scared of them ...i now have a fridge full of maggots .....should I just throw them on the ground rather than put them in their feeding bowl ?
Sorry these are prob very basic questions thanks ...i am still taking her to my vets on Monday by the way

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 12:02 »
Fingers crossed her crop is going down then.  My girls always go crazy for maggots, to the point where I've had to sort out the odd scuffle.  If you're giving the maggots straight from the fridge, they'll be slow, and maybe thats why your girls are looking a little suspicious of them.  I remember when i was a youngster, going fishing, and prior to putting a maggot on the hook, i used to pop one under my tongue, and the warmth would make it wriggle more.  I wouldnt dream of doing that now, but i warm them up in my hand, or leave them out of the fridge for an hour to get them wriggling, and then just scatter on the ground.  I try and isolate the one with the crop issue for a matter of minutes, then i know she's had a good handful, and then share some out with the others.  Let us know how you get on.

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 12:07 »
If you have one hen that is unwell you are best to put them on their own.  That way you can see how much they eat, drink and what their poo is like.  Hopefully it was hers so the blockage might be clearing.  Make sure their is no long grass, hay or straw that they can get at.  They are greedy and will eat it if they can get at it.

Mine were wary of maggots at first so best to sprinkle them and they will see them as a treat.  I stored some in an under stairs cupboard and some escaped so I have had flies hatching.  I think they have all gone now!   :unsure:

arty

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 12:38 »
Thanks but i will decline the maggot under the tongue for now i will sprinkle them on the ground and a good idea to isolate the poorly one to monitor eating. i managed to syrine some oil down to...a drop at a time as I was petrified it would go into her lungs ....she sat happily on my lap ....it took a long time for a tiny bit of oil though and I got covered in it too ...she is still very thin but her feathers are growing back so will look like a proper chicken soon ...thanks again

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 14:11 »
Egg laying breeds do seem skinny even when they are well.  It is dual purpose and meat birds that are fatter.  Best to handle your birds regularly to get used to what is normal weight wise and check for any abnormalities at the same time.  It makes it easier for when they are ill they won't be as frightened.   ;)

arty

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 16:49 »
Ok they have got over their horror of the maggots and are eating them from their bowl now the poorly one has had quite a few I will give her more this evening by herself so I know she has had a load then wait for the crop to go down ......fingers and beaks crossed ...thanks for taking the time to reply ...

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 18:10 »
Ok they have got over their horror of the maggots and are eating them from their bowl now the poorly one has had quite a few I will give her more this evening by herself so I know she has had a load then wait for the crop to go down ......fingers and beaks crossed ...thanks for taking the time to reply ...

Have a read of this recent thread arty, it sounds similar to your poorly hen LINK   ;)

arty

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 11:13 »
Hi update on my chooks I took them to my vet yesterday (she is a recommended Chicken vet BTW) and she wasn't worried at all she has given me a tonic to put in their water but as far as the compacted crop she said there was nothing to worry about so I guess perhaps either the maggots had done their job or I was being like a new Mum and worrying too much .....either way fingers crossed they will start picking up and putting on some weight now ......bless them they all got weighed yesterday and look very bewildered about it ... :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 11:21 »
Glad things are looking up arty. 

Did the vet suggest worming them if you don't have any history you might be as well treating them with flubenvet as a precaution.  There is no egg withdrawal and you can either add it to their feed or buy feed with it already added.  They have it for a week with no treats so they get a full dose.   ;)

arty

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 20:51 »
yes I asked about that but they had run out of wormer and she was going to ring me when it arrived ...'no egg withdrawal 'sorry does that mean we can eat the eggs while they are being wormed ?.....I feel so much happier now they have been seen by the vet ....

xx
Poultry Spice, Poultry Zest, Garlic, Apple Vinegar, Verm-X, Liquid Tonic etcc

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 09:28
by Kenilworth
xx
local moggies

Started by jason g on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 20:37
by ma baker
xx
Just been watching my local news programme

Started by wighty on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 20:40
by babe
xx
Any help with feed suppliers local to Manchester

Started by ladypeeling on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 20, 2008, 20:04
by ladypeeling

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 36 queries.