Spagetti marrow

• 16 Replies

Beetroot queen

Spagetti marrow
« on: May 14, 2013, 12:41 »
Thinking about trying these, they are 99p for 6 on amazon, would I be too late this year as the listing calls them winter squash.

Anyone also tried the taste  ???

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
Re: Spagetti marrow
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 13:10 »
Hi BQ

I tried these the year before last.  I think you should be okay to put them in by mid June latest.  I personally didn't like the taste and found them too bland.  I roasted each half in the oven with a generous helping of butter and salt / pepper but just found them a bit boring for my tastes.  I've gone with patty pan squash this year but it won't be going out for a week or so yet.

OG

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 13:23 »
I tried the variety Stripetti F1 (another spagetti squash) - I wasn't sure when to harvest so I picked a few that seemed big enough and despite following cooking instructions, I didn't get the spagetti strands but mashed with butter and pepper, and I thought they were very tasty.  However, the mature squash were not that wonderful.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 13:26 »
Well...... I ordered some to try. I thought they maybe good for Florence to try, she does bland very well. Will get them going as soon as they arrive, hoping it's not too late. Should I start them off indoors or in the cold frame .

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 13:33 »
I like them - scraped out and fried with a little butter and garlic they make a tasty substitute for pasta.

I got about a dozen of these from two plants:

Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 13:34 »
They look good, I'll keep you posted on this one.

carlotta

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 18:43 »
I grew spaghetti squash last year with great sucess it was a first for me. They need a big area as they are huge.

The main problem was I had too many and gave loads away and had to make spaghetti squash and pineapple jam to use them up when we could face eating anymore!

Carb free spaghetti win, win,   :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 18:59 »
Just hope I am not too late. The seeds won't be here for a few days.

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 19:04 »
Plenty of time still for squash. A week or two indoors, a week or two hardening off, then straight out into nice weather.  That's my plan, anyway!

Off to sow a few Spaghetti Squash. I would like one to go out if I can find the space

Beetroot queen

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 19:09 »
Plenty of time still for squash. A week or two indoors, a week or two hardening off, then straight out into nice weather.  That's my plan, anyway!

Off to sow a few Spaghetti Squash. I would like one to go out if I can find the space

Brill, nice weather lol here's hoping  ;)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 21:01 »
I told hubby I ordered some more seeds for him and his reply was, if it's on amazon you can just cancel. The plot is mine for courgettes. And so the war begins  :tongue2:

Spagetti or courgettes who will win.

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 21:17 »

I grew spaghetti squash last year,I had 6 plants which produced about 30 squash .

Some were the size of a rugby ball most smaller.

They spread over quite a large area ,and were virtually left to do their own thing .

I made a frame with chicken wire ,and they climbed to about 7 ft tall ,whle others trailed on the ground

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 03:30 »
Babbyann, you don't see the strands until after they're baked, and after you take a fork or spoon and loosen them from the 'walls'. Otherwise it looks like a solid block of squash. Once you start scraping the baked walls, the strings come away and they're fabulous with some pesto and parmesan. YUMMMM. As said, no carb 'pasta'.

I have 2 seeds growing in a single pot and OH accidentally brought them outside for me to plant, so I did and I placed a poly dome over them. Our weather dropped dramatically and we had snow flurries for a few days but so far the squashes are happy under their dome. Goes to show that sometimes nature can fool you.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 13:41 »
Mine arrived today, amazing since i only ordered yesterday, they are now in the soil well 12 of them are.  :D

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 15:24 »
[Spagetti or courgettes who will win. /quote]

As harry hill would say ...FIGHT.. !  Sorry couldnt resist saying that BQ :tongue2:

xx
Vegetable spagetti

Started by ynysmonron on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 17:15
by mickwood
xx
Saving Spagetti squash seeds.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 18, 2009, 19:55
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
marrow

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 16, 2014, 08:22
by DD.
xx
marrow

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2013, 21:29
by 3759allen

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 36 queries.