Grow your own ( big mistakes)

• 65 Replies

Auntiemogs

Re: Grow your own ( big mistakes)
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2013, 22:33 »
Making my raised beds so wide that I can't quite reach the centre of them from the path.
Me too!   :blush:
Me three!  :lol:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

richie3846

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2013, 07:27 »
My first year I ignored all the spacings and got results with some things but not others. The most affected were the courgettes - I tried planting about 4 in one Ikea bag - by July they were all suffering from nutrient deficiency - the poor souls turned a horrid shade of yellow  :( and I had no fruit whatsoever! I since learnt one per growbag is plenty! I felt like a right muppet  :tongue2:

mrgrower

• Newton Heath Garden Club
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2013, 08:17 »
I noticed lots of my seedlings where a bit wilted due to dry soil so decided to give them a spray only to discover that one of the other allotmenteers had bought the exact same spray bottle as me and had filled it with weed killer and guess which bottle I picked up  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Ema

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2013, 09:02 »
my MIL dispite being a good gardener and growing some of her own will not eat anything she or I have grown because it might have had an insect on it! I could scream sometimes

BabbyAnn

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2013, 09:08 »
Before the allotment, I tried to grow brassicas in the garden - sprouts, broccoli and cabbage.  I'd never grown brassicas before, but strangely I did sort of give thought to pests including snails and butterflies even though all this gyo was new to me.  The netting I got was labelled for bird and butterfly so I was feeling rather smug when I saw cabbage whites fluttering by and then as I watched from a distance, they were actually inside the cage ... When I went to investigate, the broccoli that were just out of sight were mere stalks with masses of adult caterpillars on them.  Lesson learned - use netting with a finer mesh, and be more attentive to crops just in case.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2013, 09:28 »
Great thread this! I have to say a big thank you to everyone on this forum for all the useful hints, tips and advice. This is my first year with an allotment (and growing anything to be honest) and I've picked up loads of useful stuff.

It still didn't prevent me from accidentally mixing up my rows of unlabelled tomato plants so now I have no idea which is which! (I had labelled the first in each row but then mixed them up when watering them....d'oh!)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2013, 09:58 »
It still didn't prevent me from accidentally mixing up my rows of unlabelled tomato plants so now I have no idea which is which! (I had labelled the first in each row but then mixed them up when watering them....d'oh!)

I've just done that with mine.  hoping I also won't have a mahoosive tomato in my balcony basket...

snowdrops

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2013, 10:55 »

I've just done that with mine.  hoping I also won't have a mahoosive tomato in my balcony basket...

Been there,done that & not just toms. I now aim to label each pot with non water soluble ink-done that too,in fact most of the ones here I've done at one time or another & not just once :wacko:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Eblana

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2013, 12:28 »

Been there,done that & not just toms. I now aim to label each pot with non water soluble ink-done that too,in fact most of the ones here I've done at one time or another & not just once :wacko:

I have also just labelled the first in the row because I was short of labels - I amn't too bad as most have stayed in their lines but I have about 3 or 4 that I amn't sure about :blink:  I will only use the ones I am sure of in the PT and the others can go outside.  Next week while I am at Chelsea first item on my to buy list is as many labels and non water soluble pens as I can carry ;)

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2013, 12:57 »
I sowed 40 tomato plants, 20 sweetcorn and a dozen courgettes - i only need about 6 of each  ::) :tongue2:

There's a plant sale at the plot on Saturday so i'm gonna give most away to my fellow plot holders.

Jim
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2013, 14:22 »
Made the mistake of letting my four year old water a few hours worth of sown seedlings. 

I asked him to water the (empty) tray next to the trays of newly sown seed into afterwards so we could put the trays in and they could soak up the water in their own time. 

Instead, you guessed it, he sloshed the watering can over the newly planted trays and all my seeds and the compost was washed up the walls, over the patio and over him! 
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

simonwatson

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2013, 14:54 »
I sowed 40 tomato plants, 20 sweetcorn and a dozen courgettes - i only need about 6 of each  ::) :tongue2:

There's a plant sale at the plot on Saturday so i'm gonna give most away to my fellow plot holders.

Jim

Don't you want to keep enough sweetcorn so that you can block plant them to ensure best chance of pollination. Something like a 4 x 4 block.

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2013, 15:16 »

Jim

Don't you want to keep enough sweetcorn so that you can block plant them to ensure best chance of pollination. Something like a 4 x 4 block.

Oops - the '6 of each was in reference to the toms.  :D

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2013, 15:38 »
Making my raised beds so wide that I can't quite reach the centre of them from the path.

Hmm yes. Mine are slightly too wide as well...

:D

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2013, 15:41 »
We have a Welsh chap on site who is reknowned for mixing up his leeks and his spring onions! :lol:
Gardeners seem to have very long memories!! He did that years ago! :D

As for me - I grew dwarf french beans up 7 foot poles one year. ::)
Guess what - they didn't get to the top of the frame!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 15:43 by devonbarmygardener »

xx
Rookie mistakes

Started by Donna Deeney on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 22, 2020, 18:25
by Subversive_plot
xx
Mistakes I'v made

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 14:39
by senrab_nhoj
xx
My first 2 lottie mistakes....what to do?!

Started by Kabby on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 14:21
by purplebat
xx
Learning by my mistakes, any other advice?

Started by Bowen on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 17:10
by JayG

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 37 queries.