What is this strawberry plant disease

• 7 Replies

TFB

What is this strawberry plant disease
« on: May 13, 2013, 12:01 »
Hi everyone,

recently some of my strawberry plants have been showing signs of disease, in that a white, fungus looking substance had appeared on the tops of some leaves. I'm very concerned about this, as the strawberries are planted more denser than I usually do, and I think this could quickly spread to all the plants if untreated. Here is a picture, can anyone identify it and possibly suggest any methods for combating it? thanks.
IMG_1899.JPG

BabbyAnn

Re: What is this strawberry plant disease
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 12:58 »
1) it's possible the "white fungus" was mildew - depending on the weather, if conditions are warm and dry, some plant varieties are more susceptible to powdery mildew.  If conditions have been very wet for a while, then there are various other moulds that relish damp conditions.  All moulds thrive in crowded conditions which you already mention is the case - you need to get air circulating round plants so you really need to thin out those plants.  In the long run, this would be better as fruit generally are more susceptible to botrytis moulds in damp conditions which can spread like wild fire across the crop.

2) I see nibble marks on the leaves so something, maybe snails, have been munching.  Reddish marks are typical of dying plant matter - could be damage due to aphids, age (if this is an older leaf, then nothing unusual, but if it's new vegetation, then you need to do some pest control such as slug and whatever you use to tackle bugs)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 13:00 »
Looks like it may be strawberry leaf spot. The spores are spread by rain hitting infected soil and splashing up onto the plant.

Not sure how or if you can treat it though. 
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 13:57 »
from what I've read about leaf spot, the treatment seems to be improved air circulation  ;) and removal of diseased leaves to reduce infection

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 14:21 »
Standard treatment for any fungal disease then :)

TFB

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 20:00 »
ok. I've read up on leaf spot and it looks exactly the same. Most online reviews recommend good circulation and spaced out plants, so I think a thinning out is in order. However, with the infected plants, many fungacides have been recommended online. I think I will buy some generic fungicide and try that, if that doesn't work then I'll go for the more specific online suggestions.

Thanks.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 22:13 »
ok. I've read up on leaf spot and it looks exactly the same. Most online reviews recommend good circulation and spaced out plants, so I think a thinning out is in order. However, with the infected plants, many fungacides have been recommended online. I think I will buy some generic fungicide and try that, if that doesn't work then I'll go for the more specific online suggestions.

Thanks.

Do not use any fungicide which does not say it is safe for edible plants.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

TFB

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 22:36 »
Oh yes of course. When I first try the generic home base bought fungicide that shouldn't be a problem, but if I go to the more specific fungicides, then I will make sure that there safe and can be applied to fruiting plants.

xx
strawberry plant help

Started by colleensj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 20:13
by colleensj
xx
strawberry plant help

Started by mat whitlock on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2016, 22:11
by mat whitlock
clip
Is this a strawberry plant

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2015, 18:03
by Yorkie
xx
When to plant a strawberry bed

Started by jmc1949 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 20, 2011, 17:47
by jmc1949

Page created in 0.682 seconds with 36 queries.