Courgettes

• 4 Replies

Ema

Courgettes
« on: May 11, 2013, 11:06 »
I've never grown them before I have a few seeds sprouting up but I succumbed to buying a plant from the market last weekend it's about a foot high and in a tiny pot so needs to get into the ground. It's been sat in a big bucket acclimatising for a week will it be ok to plant out in the winds were havin or are they sensitive pants?

Will the pheasants eat them? They've taken the tips of my shallots

Are slugs a problem?

I have plenty of compost from the darlek to mulch it with but will it need feeding and if so will dandilion and weed tea be suitable for courgettes and squashes?

Many thanks

Ema

Re: Courgettes
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 11:49 »
Just been out to check on my garden seedlings and it would appear a bird has been sat on the edge of said bucket helping themselves to a courgette leaf.

Also noticed ther are what look like 4 flower buds appearing around the base of the leaves?  :blink:

Stree

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 12:23 »
First, yes repot ASAP, courgettes are greedy feeders and want lots of water but not to be stood in water so make it free draining.
Bag compost alone is not nutrient enough for courgettes, use well rotted manure mixed with sieved good soil or compost, maybe some grit sand to help drainage Slugs can be a problem so easier to control in pots rather than in the ground.
Do not feed with fertilizer / plant food  etc until the first set of fruit is ready to pick.
Night temps are still too low to put them outside, needs to be consistently above 10c. Check with Met office website and use your post code for 5 day forecast where you are. This gives night conditions as well as daytime.
Pick the fruit when no more than 4" long. remove any flowers that do not convert to fruit, these will rot and bring disease.
Bees pollinate the flowers to give fruit so put some pots of flowering plants nearby to attract bees.

Courgettes are susceptible to wind and it will affect them badly, find a sunny but sheltered spot.

when you pot them use a minimum 15 litre pot and leave  compost 3" from top so mid season you can top up with fresh compost and give them a boost.
May or may not need some staking, watch for roots if you stake when its full grown.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 12:30 by Stree »

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 12:46 »
My main problem with courgette and squash leaves has always been  my dogs. I've no idea why, but they seem to think courgette leaves are doggie caviar, can't get enough of them. I always have to make sure the plants are tucked behind wire or fencing or something to keep them off.

Ema

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 21:19 »
Definatly not keeping them in pots as I just don't have the space.

Think I will put it out this week with some canes and some clear plastic around the edges.

xx
courgettes

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2018, 20:25
by Aidy
xx
courgettes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 11:14
by arugula
xx
courgettes... or not

Started by nuttytart on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 21:37
by Herb
xx
courgettes

Started by chris on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 23, 2012, 20:54
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.504 seconds with 36 queries.