50mph Wind Normal?

• 5 Replies

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
50mph Wind Normal?
« on: May 10, 2013, 20:49 »
Just finished at my allotment and found my cloche broken and shed in pieces!

I'm quite new to allotmenteering, and wondered if its normal to get these 40-50mph winds during April-September or was yesterday a bit of a freak occurance?

When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

stainesbloke

Re: 50mph Wind Normal?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 21:05 »
Feel sorry for you, disheartening to get damage like that on ur plot! Hope it doesn't cost much to fix. I was on my plot most of the day yesterday watching my plot getting a battering lol, was worried about my polytunnel but it held strong :)

Winds like that are not normal for May, they are more likely in the winter months. But we have had similar winds in the last few terrible summers so maybe our climate is changing?! Keeping fingers crossed thus summer is decent!

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 22:39 »
Just finished at my allotment and found my cloche broken and shed in pieces!

I'm quite new to allotmenteering, and wondered if its normal to get these 40-50mph winds during April-September or was yesterday a bit of a freak occurance?

Perfectly normal if you live in west Cumbria!! 60-70mph winds we get a bit less often.

As some people were predicting, these extreme weather events are becoming more common so we'll just have to adjust our gardening techniques accordingly.

seaside

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 23:37 »
Many allotment sites are more exposed than gardens. I feel so sorry when I see neighbouring plots suffer damage. Often some structures ( especially some of those flimsy shop greenhouses)  and/or bean supports/netting are not up to the task. It's easy to underestimate the wind. Late Summer high winds can be the most disappointing as bean and sweetcorn crops  can take a battering. We protect against pests carefully but sometimes forget to protect from weather when planting on a balmy day.

Having said that, last Summer was particularly awful for Summer storms and lack of sunlight. Still, even then most crops did well. All depends on what we grow I guess, My 2ft broad beans took bit of a battering one day this week. Hopefully most will recover but my fault as I didn't stake and twine them properly... a bit lazy of me. Lesson learned. :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 23:40 by seaside »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 08:22 »
Many allotment sites are more exposed than gardens.

Ain't that the truth. I often notice how windy it is on the plot - cos the wind fair whistles up the railwayline, which is in the SW where our prevailing winds come from, whilst it is calm in the garden - behind several big trees and a few hedges  :)

I wish I had room for all the tender stuff in the garden  :lol:

Jabberwock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 08:43 »
I'm sorry to say that it's also a normal occurrence for me here in my location regardless of the season  :(.
All my structures are bolted down and reinforced, gave up with aluminium framed greenhouses as the wind tends to twist the frames so have resorted to wooden ones which are more expensive but far easier to repair.
My hubby throws heavy duty rope netting over the greenhouses and cold frames if a hoolie is forecast and ties them to ground anchors, this seems to diffuse the wind a bit and also means that if your structure is trashed at least you don't have to go for miles around picking up the pieces :wacko:

xx
Gone with the Wind !

Started by 8doubles on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2013, 08:04
by sunshineband
xx
Wind!

Started by Nest on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 23:07
by simonwatson
xx
Wind!

Started by Grandmasue on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 29, 2015, 13:31
by Snoop
xx
wind

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 21, 2013, 09:26
by A Reyt Tayty

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 29 queries.