How far do you go?

• 6 Replies

eneville

How far do you go?
« on: May 09, 2013, 20:57 »
I've collecting, washing and smashing all the snails that have been living in the garden rent-free and letting the chickens snack. They seem to prefer it when I wash and smash the shells.

I do similar things when it rains or if I'm turning the soil, I'll collect and surface worms for the chickens.

Have I gone too far, or is this normal behaviour?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: How far do you go?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 21:11 »
They don't need too many as they have a balanced diet in their layers pellets.  You have more chance of them getting worms as slugs, snails and worms carry worm eggs.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

eneville

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 22:10 »
Oh right, I didn't know that. I guess I'll have to stop doing giving them the treats. Thought it was a perfect plan, save the veggies from the snails, feed the chickens, and then let them eat the vegetables later in the year...

Is your plot overrun with snails?

grinling

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 22:22 »
I try to stop the chickens having worms so lock them in when I am digging (they will put their heads in the wrong place!!). Also try to keep Mr Mole out who also loves my worms.
Will crush snails and leave for the birds, but not seen many.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 12:12 »
As long as your hens are wormed at regular intervals there is nothing wrong with them eating worms, slugs and snails, after all they are all natural foods.  :)
My lot are not really too fussed about snails but I've not entered into the shell crushing yet! I will have to give it a try.  :lol:

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 15:42 »
I give the girls a few worms and the odd slug.
They love it when we dig through the coop when it gets a bit solid - you end up picking up a forkful of soil with a chicken on the top! :D

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 11:18 »
Mine won't touch slugs or snails :blink: but show them a woodlice and they're like vultures.

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 37 queries.