sweetcorn

• 44 Replies

seaside

Re: sweetcorn
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 11:19 »
You're probably right DD and just what I was thinking the other day looking at the long root protruding. So I've put the loo rolls into cheap party plastic cups for the next week which kind of defeats the object I suppose. Might just plant them out and cover with plastic bottles. Back to 3inch pots next year, or decent modules.

simonwatson

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 11:45 »
I guess I should say these are paper pots. Nice big hefty ones made from a broadsheet.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 11:48 »
Sounds as if they will be very educated and well-informed sweet corn by the time they are planted out!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

simonwatson

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 11:56 »
They'll be well informed, but a little behind the Times! It's hard to make paper pots out of bbc news online.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 12:28 »
 :lol:

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
Root-Bound Sweetcorn
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 12:33 »
Afternoon all,

I bought some sweetcorn in a local gc as i never go round to sowing any, and then read in my book, that if they are root bound, which I think they are, then they wont take, and wont grow properly.....

What have others discovered, and what should I do?
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 19:06 »
It probably depends on the degree of root disturbance - planting with the rootball intact from a pot, or planting a paper pot complete will minimise the shock - planting bare-rooted would of course be a very bad idea.

Having said that the biggest cause of sulking is probably low temperatures after planting out, although they are bound to stall for a while as they establish their root systems in the new soil.

This website (which also contains other useful advice) advocates using a high phosphorus feed after transplanting to help establish the root system, but I guess most amateur growers don't bother with that, if only because high "P" fertilisers are not easy to come by.

Yeah - In Zimbabwe we used neat Potassium "P" with all our planting out - be it planting a new lawn using runners, veg or flowers or even to our farm where Dad used it on all the crops as well. (I know it as Super Phosphate). This is in addition to any general fertilizers added when preparing the bed/land.. 

Just to clarify that Phosphorus is the correct chemical for roots, not Potassium.  The chemical letter is indeed P.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
Re: Root-Bound Sweetcorn
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 19:10 »
Not really a problem. When you take them out of their pot to plant out, once all danger of frost is past, just gently tease out some of the roots before planting.

BabbyAnn

Re: Root-Bound Sweetcorn
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 19:17 »
why not repot them in fresh compost in a bigger pot now - I find that if you disturb the roots too much then it can have the same effect as being pot bound

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 20:21 »

Yeah - In Zimbabwe we used neat Potassium "P" with all our planting out - be it planting a new lawn using runners, veg or flowers or even to our farm where Dad used it on all the crops as well. (I know it as Super Phosphate). This is in addition to any general fertilizers added when preparing the bed/land.. 

Just to clarify that Phosphorus is the correct chemical for roots, not Potassium.  The chemical letter is indeed P.

Hi Yorkie - sorry I had a "Senior Moment" with my tiny sunburned brain!!  It is indeed Pphosphorus!! dont know where Potassium came from!! I have corrected my mistake.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 20:22 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 08:55 »

Hi Yorkie - sorry I had a "Senior Moment" with my tiny sunburned brain!!  It is indeed Pphosphorus!! dont know where Potassium came from!! I have corrected my mistake.

That'd be the 'K' ;)

Sweetpea C

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2013, 09:03 »
So, is it time for them to go out? Is it is it is it?!!! Not that I am keen or anything!!!  ::) also, will they need protecting? I suppose that is a silly answer given my rabbit problem...more netting required!
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2013, 09:33 »
Another 2 weeks at least for mine, if that helps.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Sweetpea C

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2013, 10:27 »
Always helpful DD! The thing is, the roots are out of the bottom of mine...they are still inside too - shall I put them in the coldframe or keep them inside. I'm very protective of them  :unsure:

Ema

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2013, 11:12 »
I sowed my chitted sweetcorn a week ago and now have shoots the only problem is the loo rolls have gone mouldy and furry (they were stores in my damp garage for a long while) - I've left them to dry out but not sure whether to leave them be or up root them into plastic pots

xx
Sweetcorn help

Started by damo on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 09:33
by Aidy
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 08:42
by Sadgit
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 01, 2009, 16:23
by gypsy
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by chris mutter on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 17, 2020, 21:12
by Learnerlady

Page created in 0.669 seconds with 30 queries.