Well that's depressing

• 19 Replies

Beetroot queen

Well that's depressing
« on: May 09, 2013, 14:55 »
May 14th 2011 I put my sweetcorn in the plot, just reading an old plot blog. I am really cheesed off now. Lol come back sunshine and warm temps.

pdblake

• Experienced Member
Re: Well that's depressing
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 15:06 »
Just been doing the same :D Last year I put mine in last week of May, then it started raining and raining and they all drowned.

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 15:08 »
I know!  I have a small 4 tier greenhouse that I put my brassicas and peas in today, with the front flap rolled up, just to give them some protection from the wind.  I've literally just come in from dragging them into the porch!  I thought the whole thing was going take off, even though I've anchored it down with metal posts on the inside.  Seriously, if anything happens to those cabbages and calabrese now I shall lie down and never leave the house again!  I want to get them planted out but won't have time to do a proper job until day off on Monday.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 15:11 »
I planted mine out on the 6th May 2011.
10th May 2012 I was throwing them out and starting again because they had gone brown and withered.
Not doing any this year  >:(
Anne

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 15:12 »
I stopped reading, the pictures nearly finished me off it's all looked so green, this year although we have stuff in, green is not the word I'd use  ::)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 15:14 »
Just been doing the same :D Last year I put mine in last week of May, then it started raining and raining and they all drowned.

Not sure I have the will power to watch everything fail again like last year. Please tell me that the last few weeks are not our summer  ???

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 15:20 »
I know I was thinking about giving up my plot, I couldn't stand another year like that.  Although "hope springs eternal....."

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 15:25 »
No. no no - you mustn't let it get to you!! :ohmy:

It's too easy to get a bit down and blame the weather and everything, but we gardeners are far more resilient than that.

It's about adapting - different crops, not growing them quite as you did before, thinking outside the box  ::)  (don't you just love that phrase!!!).

Chin up you lot :D
S*d the rain!!

Beetroot queen

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 15:31 »
It would take a lot for me to actually give it all up but let's be honest last year was horrific.

We will be more positive.............. This lovely rain helps the plants grow.  :blink: is that better. Lol

And the weeds. That little evil person stood on my left shoulder always has to chime in.  ::)

I just want to spend my evenings on the plot without a rain coat.

I suppose we could grow rice .

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 15:57 »
I always look at what did work.

I had yummy new potatoes, delicious brassicas - first year for really good, non-cattypiddlered red cabbages, loads of courgettes, a winters worth of onions; loads of salad, carrots and parsnips, still picking delicious perpetual spinach, tonnes of french beans and a small fortune of rasps and blueberries and 1 plum! (first year for the tree :D )

Ok, the borlottis didn't come to any good, the squashes, again nothing, my new polytunnel (that I was really looking forward to using) blew away but I'm still ever hopeful.

Had more successes than failures and that's what counts :happy: :happy: :happy:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 22:05 by devonbarmygardener »

Beetroot queen

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 16:02 »
I always look at what did work.

I had yummy new potatoes, delicious brassicas - first year for really good, non-cattypiddlered red cabbages, loads of courgettes, a winters worth of onions; loads of salad, carrots and parsnips, still picking delicious perpetual spinach, tonnes of french beans and a small fortune of rasps and blueberries and 1 plum! (first year for the tree :D )

Ok, the borlottis come to any good, the squashes, again nothing, my new polytunnel (that I was really looking forward to using) blew away but I'm still ever hopeful.

That's very true we must have had hundreds of pounds of raspberries alone. I don't mind rain every night For a couple of hours, then sunshine please. Shame life doesn't work like that.

edit to fix quote
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 16:35 by mumofstig »

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 16:08 »
Oh, its alright, no fears of giving up this year, yet! That was last year.  I've just sown my runners now, I've got to see how they go on and nothing except a few sunflowers have died so far!

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 16:24 »

I had yummy new potatoes,
I got 3 boilings out of 4 rows, 1 row disappeared completely.
delicious brassicas
Mine were average
- first year for really good, non-cattypiddlered red cabbages,
got one and the other one split
 loads of courgettes,
two courgettes and that was when it was still in the greenhouse
a winters worth of onions;
2 month supply
 loads of salad, carrots
didn't plant any of those
 and parsnips,
they didn't come up
tonnes of french beans
very few french beans and little more runners
and a small fortune of rasps
rasps were poor, blackberries plentiful but with maggots.

Three new rasp plants,  2 gooseberries, a small apple tree  and a sage bush died in the watery soil.

My responses in Bold

But I am not going to dwell on the catalogue of disasters, and I haven't mentioned the strawberries or cucumbers. I am putting it all behind me and moving on ;)   It will be a good year this year I feel it in my bones! :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 16:37 by mumofstig »

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 17:20 »
I'm sorry your harvest wasn't very good.

But yes, you must put it behind you, think positive and carry on.

But not like those d*mn 'Carry on' posters, mugs, t-shirts, bags or whatever bl**dy thing they're slapping these messages on these days as I HATE THEM! :mad:
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bluealf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 21:55 »
We could have done better but it was nowhere near a disaster as Annen  :ohmy:.

Got half the amount of tatties as normal but we got a few courgettes off the one remaining plant, luckily that was a yellow one  :D

Sweetcorn was okay from just 4 plants (got 10 going in this time)

Peas and beans seemed to do really well.

Our biggest disappointment was the Strawbs, slugs and rain did for them, only good enough for jam and I don't like jam  ::)
Carlisle

Page created in 0.796 seconds with 37 queries.