Can't be right, can it?

• 7 Replies

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
Can't be right, can it?
« on: May 09, 2013, 09:34 »
Morning all, i'm pretty sure in my time on this rock, i've heard somewhere about using the contents of your hoover mixed in with compost for tomatoes, anybody else come across this or know of any truth in it? Many thanks  :)
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how i keep from going under......

Beetroot queen

Re: Can't be right, can it?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:41 »
I have heard people say the Hoover contents can go in your compost bin but that's all.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 09:51 »
The contents of hoover bags must vary considerably with individual habits (and what sort of carpets they have - man-made materials will not decompose even if added to the compost heap, and if you are fond of chucking your food all over the floor and then hovering it up you run the risk of attracting vermin.)

Can't see the point of adding uncomposted material to tomato compost, although that doesn't mean there isn't one!  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 10:14 »
I could have got it muddled in my head since i heard it, if there was any truth in it, thought this would be the ideal place to investigate!  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 10:21 »
It's about human and pet hair!  Slugs do not like it at all, so began the practice of putting hair from the hairdressers sweepings around the tops of the grow bags. Somewhere the message might have got lost in translation, as these things often do  :)

The Hoover bag contents are full of dust and it would be a mess I think to put this around your plants. I would definitely empty it out of the bag and put it in the compost bin.  I say empty it out advisedly as I fished out a full bag from my own bin the other day. The bag was intact apart from a few minor holes  :)

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 10:42 »
I compost the "Dyson" contents, an upmarket hoover product, and it works well.
It might be something to do with the high proportion of Mastiff hair in mine.
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of knowing nothing than opening it and proving it.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 10:46 »
I think the hair itself stays in the compost rather than composting down with all the rest of the contents. If you look at the finished compost you'll find hair and eggshells.  What an interesting life I lead  :wacko:

JimS

• The Snail Whisperer
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 11:40 »
Aah, somewhere deep in my memory, something is stirring. I have a hazy recollection that this may be from one of Alan Titchmarsh's shows, 'Top Tips' or something like that?

Anyway, I do remember that it's supposed to be the collection of hair and dead skin that is really good for the Toms.

Page created in 0.698 seconds with 37 queries.