outside plot and polytunnel

• 8 Replies

magallot

outside plot and polytunnel
« on: May 05, 2013, 02:00 »
Hi, am new to allotment growing and have joined a community allotment. It is plagued with rabbits and the fencing is taking longer than expected to go up. We are all desperate to get our veg in the ground as it is out growing pots in the greenhouse, is there any veg that rabbits do not eat?
Also, any advice on watering in polytunnels? Evening or morning? We have overhead sprays and that makes tunnel very humid, will that encourage mildew?

Sweetpea C

Re: outside plot and polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 07:43 »
I too am overrun with rabbits, I have built raised beds out of scaffold boards and some netting over the top which seems to be working. That said, they didn't try to eat onions, garlic or raspberry canes when they were exposed - nor have they tried to eat my first earlies that have just poked through. That might just be my rabbits though - I can't pretend to be an expert on the subject! Good luck.
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

hunros40

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 09:53 »
Water polytunnel in the evening The water will stay in the ground where you put it for longer

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 18:21 »
As above.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 18:26 »
Excessive humidity will encourage mildew, botrytis, and blight (if you have tomatoes in there.)

Even cucumbers, which like some humidity, are prone to stem rot if watered too much from above (guess how I know this, although as is already well documented they don't really need any excuse to pop their proverbials!)  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

3759allen

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 08:23 »
probably not an idea animal lovers would approve of but maybe find someone that nets or shoots rabbits. i have seen a post on my local free cycle for someone asking for land to shoot on.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 20:55 »
probably not an idea animal lovers would approve of but maybe find someone that nets or shoots rabbits. i have seen a post on my local free cycle for someone asking for land to shoot on.

The landowner will have to consent to any shooting on the land; an allotment tenant doesn't count for that purpose.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Sweetpea C

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 12:35 »
Here is a picture of my rabbit protection (which seems to be working so far). I used scaffold planks and yellow gas pipe (you can use water pipe too) and some cheap nettong. What is useful is that I have a lot of ground to dig so building a fence wasn't an option in it's current state. By doing it this way I dig, build a bed, plant and cover - it's working for me so far. As far as I can tell the rabbits haven't got anything.
gas pipe bed.jpg

Beetroot queen

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 19:31 »
Rabbits adore raspberry leaves, well my three do, they stripped the plants bare and if the outdoor run is too close they will climb over the top to get to them.  ::)

xx
Something is having a go at my polytunnel

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 12, 2009, 08:57
by RichardA
xx
Polytunnel

Started by JCloth on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2008, 18:51
by Trillium
xx
Polytunnel

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 23:14
by RichardA
xx
New Polytunnel.....

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 24, 2007, 14:28
by FatGaz

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 29 queries.