Old or ill?

• 10 Replies

frangipani

• newbie hen owner
Old or ill?
« on: May 04, 2013, 23:21 »
Hi A couple of chickens have died recently. Basically they have been lethargic for a bit and then died. I assume this is old age, but as I dont know the age of them I cannot be sure. We have a white one at present who is lethargic, has no energy to protest when I pick her up and basically looks tired!!! And advice.gratefully recieved!
a flock of hens, a cuddle of ducks and a twosome of geese.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Old or ill?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 00:15 »
Have your hens been wormed recently with flubenvet as worms could be the cause.

Red mite could also cause them to die due to lack of blood. 

Check for lice and mites on your birds and in the coop.

Check that they are eating well and have a full crop on a night and empty on a morning.  A full crop on a morning can be a sign of impacted crop.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

frangipani

• newbie hen owner
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 07:36 »
Hi Yeah they have been wormed about a month ago. I will check this morning for red mite, lice and will look at their crops. I am not sure that we have any of the mentioned things as the other birds are healthy and have good coats. But I am new to this so we shall see. I am hoping it is age related but loosing a few birds in a short amount of timd seems a coincidence.
thanks for your reply. x

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 09:39 »
Did you notice any liquid leaking from the beaks of any of the ones that died (after they were dead) or a bloated abdomen?

What is the comb like on your poorly hen?

frangipani

• newbie hen owner
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 10:40 »
Well checked the coops and there is no red mite, lice or full crops this morning. Her comb is a bit flat but our white hens never have great combs.  Sorry not great at this as a hen is a white hen rather than its a 'breed' I have put her in my shed so she has some space. She occaisonally pecks at food but doesnt eat it. I havr checked to see if ahe has anything stuck but cant see anythin.
Also re your other message there was never any liquid and or bloated ab.

Poor hen she is just sleeping away.n

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 10:57 »
You could try pureed carrot, apple, garlic, honey and add it to water.  I use it as a pick me up for hens that have lost their appetite.  You can also add boiled water to her pellets and make a porridge, let it cool before giving it to her.  They seem to think it is a treat and eat it more readily than dried pellets.  She will be getting fluids at the same time as eating which will be good for her.   ;)

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 08:20 »
Unfortunately if your white hen is a hybrid they tend not to live as long as a pure breed as they are egg laying machines and wear out quicker. You have done right to move her away from the others and need to consider taking her to a vet or if she issuffering, and it sounds as though she may be, cull her. Sorry :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

frangipani

• newbie hen owner
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 23:03 »
Hi Just wanted to let you know that a few days of rest and hubby let her out for a bit with the rest of the ladies ans we dont know which one she is now!!! They all look healthy!!! Fingers crossed it lastsĦĦ
thanks for help x x x

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 18:34 »
That is good news frangipani.  When I have hens I can't tell apart I put leg rings on so I know which ones to keep an eye on if ill.   ;)

frangipani

• newbie hen owner
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 21:41 »
thanks thst is a awesomr idea. I will get some bought asap. x x x

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 09:13 »
Brilliant result :)

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 36 queries.