wood chippings for mulch?

• 3 Replies

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
wood chippings for mulch?
« on: May 04, 2013, 19:43 »
I got lots of wood chippings for my pathways and have a about a black bags worth left over, can I use this as a mulch for my squash? or if not what would be better?

allotmentann

Re: wood chippings for mulch?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 11:36 »
I happily use wood chippings as mulch for anything and everything, but a lot of people don't like the idea, saying that they rob nitrogen from the soil. I have read as much as I can find on the subject and don't believe this to be true. They will help retain moisture around your squash and may help to deter slugs. They will not add much nutrition to the soil though like some other mulches. If I was using it, I would probably mulch with some good homemade compost and put the woodchippings on top of that. :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 11:43 »
Wood chippings are high in carbon but low in nitrogen so have to "borrow" nitrogen from the soil to feed the organisms which cause them to rot down. This doesn't apply when used as a mulch though (they can't "suck" nitrogen from the soil if they are lying on top of it!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 17:30 »
I love wood chippings for mulch but first I add a thin layer of composted manure which tops up the nitrogen supply that the wood chips might use, and I've not had problems. I found that if I add a thin layer of composted manure, then some sheets of newspaper or thin cardboard on top, and then the mulch that the results were even better at stopping weeds.

xx
Mulch: fir tree chippings

Started by kath77 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2007, 22:13
by kath77
xx
Can I use bark chippings as a mulch?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 14, 2012, 12:20
by sunshineband
xx
bark chippings as compost/mulch

Started by otis pony on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 16:18
by savbo
xx
pine tree chippings as mulch

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 13:27
by Swing Swang

Page created in 1.267 seconds with 37 queries.