Last frost dates

• 13 Replies

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
Last frost dates
« on: May 02, 2013, 16:23 »
Hi i've been looking at a few websites looking at the last frost dates, i was just wondering how accurate people thought these were? after 4 days of glorious sun  8)  i'm getting itchy to get things planted but i'm a total newbie and don't really know what i'm doing  :wub:

simonwatson

Re: Last frost dates
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 16:30 »
They are based on statistics and probability so some years the last frost will be earlier and sometimes as predicted. The idea of the last frost dates is that it's unlikely there'll be a frost after the end of the period or date, not that it's impossible.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 16:41 »
we've been discussing last frost dates here - it may help  :unsure:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=104818.msg1174585#msg1174585

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 16:56 »
Thank you both i will read that now mumofstig  :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 09:11 »
Not sure I trust some of the sites where you can look up last frost dates. Ours says end of march.  :wacko:

Starting to get twitchy about getting stuff in now  :mellow: will be patient, will be patient, will be patient. How about tomorrow  :lol:

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 09:49 »
I have looked at some of these frost date sites and do not consider them to be of much practical use.

Are you likely to get any more frosts in Cornwall? I would have thought probably not.

Look at your neighbours gardens and allotments. If they are generally planting out beans and courgettes then you can. Look at weather forecasts.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 10:25 »
I will start sticking some bits in and hope this weekend. I have back ups if needed

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 12:06 »
Hi yes are last frost dates are listed as middle of march and I'd say that's proberbly about right, I'm getting really twitchy about getting things out now, I keep walking around the site to see what other people are planting out now ive noticed that I haven't seen any squashes or sweetcorn but runner beans have started going out. This is my first year so apart from the great advice on here I'm pretty much winging it  :D

simonwatson

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 13:25 »
The met office regional climate page says that on average the south west of England will get a couple of ground frosts and maybe an air frost in May. That doesn't tally well with the fourth week of April suggested on the site in the linked thread above.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/sw/

richie3846

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 20:44 »
On the weatheronline.co.uk website you can pull up detailed histories of temperatures at a weather station near you. I trawled through night temperatures at my local station for May and June from 1982-2012, and was horrified to see the latest air frost to be the 30th May!!!!  :ohmy:

fatcat1955

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 07:53 »
I never plant any tender plant's out until June, i have still been caught out.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 08:38 »
I'm aiming to have my tender summer plants ready to plant outdoors at the beginning of June, but even then I'll be nervously scanning the weather forecasts for the possibility of a late ground frost.

The weather has been too unpredictable in the last few years to trust the long-term averages, which often don't seem to agree with each other anyway.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Beetroot queen

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 08:40 »
My French beans will have to go in but I'll maybe order some more fleece incase

ryetek

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 08:46 »
I'm aiming to have my tender summer plants ready to plant outdoors at the beginning of June, but even then I'll be nervously scanning the weather forecasts for the possibility of a late ground frost.

I'm only just slightly more north than you JayG and I distinctly remember we had a frost the first week in June last year. I usually aim to get tender plants out the first or second week in June and keep the fleece ready as I think you and others have already said.

xx
Last frost dates.

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 10:03
by Trikidiki
xx
First and Last Frost Dates

Started by Bohobumble on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 08, 2015, 17:29
by 3759allen
xx
spuds planting dates?

Started by Plottered on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 10:07
by Plottered
xx
Latest sowing dates for sweetcorn?

Started by Middlesexbloke on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 17, 2015, 15:25
by Middlesexbloke

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 38 queries.