Dahlias coming back?

• 6 Replies

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
Dahlias coming back?
« on: May 02, 2013, 09:56 »
Morning all, i had started some dahlias on the w/sill some time back, had put them out in the day and forgot to bring them in, when i checked, they did'nt look to happy, wilted and started to dry(paper-like) Looked at them yesterday and they seem to have new growth, should i just leave them to get on with it or is there something i can do to give a helping hand? thanks  :)
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how i keep from going under......

Sweetpea C

Re: Dahlias coming back?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 17:06 »
Hi,

in the absence of any expert replies and having grown dahlias myself I would say that it is quite early for them to be up yet. I have 12 tubers in pots in a greenhouse and they usually won't shoot until May at the earliest. Did you grow them from seed or tubers? My seeds are coming up nicely. It's probably the shock of going from warm windowsill to real life outside and overnight (there have been a couple of frosts this week) - but I'm happy to be corrected from someone with more knowledge! Would suggest giving them a water and see how you get on. Not sure where I would suggest keeping them though - maybe someone else can answer this.

Hope that helped! 
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 19:21 »
Yes Caroline you are right, it is too early for dahlias to be out yet, as there is still a danger of frost in most parts of the country.

Mine are in the frost free greenhouse in pots, and the huge tubers that are too big to be potted without needing a forklift truck to move them are going to get a good soak this weekend to start them into shooting before they get planted outside.

When they are planted out they will not show above the ground until early June -- still give plenty of flowers late summertime
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Sweetpea C

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 08:06 »
Yes Caroline you are right, it is too early for dahlias to be out yet, as there is still a danger of frost in most parts of the country.

Mine are in the frost free greenhouse in pots, and the huge tubers that are too big to be potted without needing a forklift truck to move them are going to get a good soak this weekend to start them into shooting before they get planted outside.

When they are planted out they will not show above the ground until early June -- still give plenty of flowers late summertime

And beautiful they are too!

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 09:57 »
Thanks, they were from seed, should i give them some feed and leave where they are to see how they get on? Never grown flowers so it's all alien at the moment!!  :)

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 13:19 »
6 of mine have gone to mush.
Kind Regards
Bill

Sweetpea C

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 19:22 »
Thanks, they were from seed, should i give them some feed and leave where they are to see how they get on? Never grown flowers so it's all alien at the moment!!  :)

I would just water them, start to harden them off (take them outside in the day but bring them in at night) then plant them out early june - they do tend grow well then - good luck!

xx
dahlias

Started by monsta on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 16:33
by tosca100
xx
Dahlias

Started by Longshanks on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2020, 19:47
by rowlandwells
xx
Dahlias

Started by big green bloke on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post January 15, 2011, 08:27
by Yabba
xx
Dahlias

Started by Casey76 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2009, 18:16
by Yabba

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 29 queries.