Which one's which??

• 5 Replies

tallulah

Which one's which??
« on: December 15, 2007, 17:39 »
A friend kindly gave me a wide selection of raspberry canes in the spring, as she was thinning her garden plot.  "I'm not sure which is which" she told me with a grin on her face.  The odd one fruited in the summer/late summer, but many didn't.  Now I'm stuck in a dilemna - which one's are summer fruiting and which ones are autumn fruiting! :roll:   I know it sounds daft, and should be obvious, but it aint to me.  So, how do I know which ones to leave alone, and which to prune?  Any suggestions gratefully received.   :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Which one's which??
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 17:49 »
We've had this before, I think the conclusion we came to was to leave them all alone & see what they do next year.

Ah, here it is.....

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=8194&highlight=raspberries
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

splodger

Which one's which??
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 18:22 »
summer fruiting canes are usually quite a bit bigger (taller)than autumn fruiting canes - which seldom need support -

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Which one's which??
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 18:43 »
Quote from: "splodger"
summer fruiting canes are usually quite a bit bigger (taller)than autumn fruiting canes - which seldom need support -

You'd better come & look at my Autumn Bliss then!

gobs

Which one's which??
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 19:19 »
Quote from: "DD."
We've had this before, I think the conclusion we came to was to leave them all alone & see what they do next year.

Ah, here it is.....

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=8194&highlight=raspberries

And you could maybe put some coloured string on the ones that fruited in the summer, so you are not up with this problem this time next year again? :roll:  :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

tallulah

Which one's which??
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 20:11 »
Thanks for the tips.  Am writing them down in my brand new gardener's diary, ready for action next year!

Page created in 2.776 seconds with 37 queries.