Cock chicks...what to do with them?

• 17 Replies

scwb

Cock chicks...what to do with them?
« on: April 29, 2013, 19:34 »
Hi...  I have just bred my first batch of chicks.  They are a breed that can be sexed at a day old and * law I have 1 girl and 5 boys!!!   Like most small scale breeders, I can't afford to grow on the boys.  Ideally, I would like them to go as reptile feed.  I have investigated the falconry and zoo routes, but have had no success due to license limitations! 

I live in south Cheshire.  Does anyone know of anybody who will take live or dispatched chicks for such feed?  I hate to see them otherwise wasted.

Sorry about the grim subject matter!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 20:22 by Aunt Sally »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Cock chicks...what to do with them?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 19:59 »
Welcome to the site scwb.

Not something I have come across.  Possibly advertise them on birdtrader/preloved or similar site as reptile food.

Depending on the breed you may get someone who will have them to grow on as meat birds.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

scwb

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 21:47 »
...thanks for getting back.  I'll continue my investigations...I'll try a reptile forum and I'll do a search for poultry meat breeders (small scale).  I do have a farming friend who grows on chickens on a massive scale, but I expect he will be bound by rules and regulations...but, if you don't ask you won't know!!
Thanks for your time again.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 09:47 »
There was a guy in hemel hempstead high street a couple of months back with owls who were eating day old chicks right in front of passing children which I thought was a bit odd at the time. It would be great to find a place that will take boy chicks that can be sexed from day one. I dont think you could get rid of chicks who were 4-6weeks though. Id be interested to see if you find a place too offload them. In your situation I would normally keep 1 to grow up with the hen then when shes old enough to join the flock i'd cull the cockerel and either eat him for dinner or the dog will. You could dispatch the other 4 if you have no luck rehoming them. The broom stick method still works on slightly older chicks, I cant bring myself to cull a day old chick by hand but am thinking of modifying an old pair of garden sheers (blunting the blades or welding on some angle iron) to do this in future.

scwb

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 20:10 »
Problem solved...as long as they were dispatched our RSPCA wildlife Centre took them as a donation of fresh food for their rehabilitating birds of prey...really please they has gone to a good cause.

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 22:27 »
That is good to know, thanks for the information which may be of help to other members in the future.   ;)

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 09:30 »
Thanks for the info. I wonder whether they would take 6 week old chicks or whether they would be considered too old for birds of prey. The reason I say is some chicks cant sexed at day old. I would prefer to get rid of my chicks this way than to cull and bin them.

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 14:32 »
Why not dispatch them and have them as poussins - very tasty.
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 10:46 »
Apparently you cant eat a chick whos been eating chick crumb due to the ACS added to the feed. I think thats correct, maybe someone will correct me. I guess you could feed them corn for a week prior to culling but I dont know if they are too young to have corn. The alternative is finishing pellets which probably is too advanced for a young chick. A lady I bought some hatching eggs from once said she used to sell them to the french. Other than france I dont know where to find french people?  :D

I know the feed I use which is haygates offer a non medicated chick crumb so you could do it this way.

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 13:30 »
I always use non medicated feed just in case one of my hens gets a chance at stealing some.

Squibbs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 22:26 »
I use non medicated crumb (also fed to the quail) and non medicated growers as well - we use Fancy Feeds - I am sure other feed suppliers are available.

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 08:37 »
I always used Fancy Feeds non-medicated crumb as well for chicks. Also ducklings who should not be given ACS. My quail thrived on their chick crumb :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 11:19 »
I also feed my chick crumb to mealworms  :D

How do you medicate your chicks if using the non medicated chick crumb? Garlic in the water? The non medicated stuff is cheaper so if it still raises healthy chicks then I would be tempted to go for that in future.

Squibbs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 22:06 »
I don't medicate at any stage - they have a gentle introduction to the outside world when young as are raised on ground where adult birds have been but not for a while - the theory is that low levels build up immunity.

I've not lost a chick yet (touches wood) to coccidiosis

Sassy

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 09:00 »
I don't medicate at any stage - they have a gentle introduction to the outside world when young as are raised on ground where adult birds have been but not for a while - the theory is that low levels build up immunity.

I've not lost a chick yet (touches wood) to coccidiosis

Same here but it is personal choice and can depend on circumstances :)

xx
Cock Bird has stopped 'Cock-a-doodle-dooing'! - Please help!

Started by johg on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 14:05
by mumsy
xx
cock or hen

Started by chelle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2007, 17:26
by Aunt Sally
xx
cock or hen

Started by chelle on The Hen House

31 Replies
Last post April 21, 2007, 11:20
by Aunt Sally
clip
cock or hen

Started by traacyken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 09:03
by Sassy

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 36 queries.