Should I shouldn't I?

• 11 Replies

mrgrower

• Newton Heath Garden Club
Should I shouldn't I?
« on: April 29, 2013, 17:08 »
Ok a quick question.

As I only got my plot in Feb I did not have any seeds on the go. That has now changed but as the seedlings are still very small or none existent I bought some plug plants two weeks ago that are sat in my cold frame at home .

I have cabbage ( still small but true leafs on ) broad beans, Runner beans that could go out however as there is still a threat of frost I am torn between putting them out or waiting??? ( Whats the latest I could realistically plant these out??? )

In fact what is the latest I can plant out my seedlings ( Leeks, Cauli, Sprouts, beets, ( sweetcorn not showing yet) Not done toms although I have seeds due to having no greenhouse and the fact that they never ripen when outside.

Already have Marris Piper out  ( Are these main crop?? ) and other tatties bought from B&Q for 50p think these are first earlies planted last Wednesday. Also have peas planted out and also chucked a load of butternut squash seeds out.

Advise please.

pdblake

• Experienced Member
Re: Should I shouldn't I?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 19:06 »
Yu have plenty of time to put brassicas out. Most people are only just sowing runner beans, leeks don't need to go out until June time. Your beets can gout out now if you like and the broad beans should be going in too. You're a bit early sowing squash outside though.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 19:43 »
I wouldn't put the runner beans out yet if frost is likely where you are.

We had  a lot less frost and snow than most others and the lady 2 plots across from mine is on her 3rd planting of runner beans! She was keen, but no way would they withstand those colder temps.

Broad beans will be fine, as they are very hardy.
Spuds should be ok - try to earth up if a frost is suspected and little sprouts are showing as they can be blackened by frost (having said that, my earlies a few years ago got frost bitten and just put new shoots through after!).

Far too early for outdoor squash yet as previously said, although your brassicas could go out with a covering of fleece if it was reported to be frosty overnight - they tend to be pretty hardy, esp caulis. :)

mrgrower

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 20:56 »
Thanks for the info i'm not fussed about the squash as I can plant more out in a few months if needed as they are going in a raised bed full of horse poop so got nothing else planed for that bed .

MG

beaker141

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 22:37 »
MrGrower - Ive just watched your allotment video montage - I'd say youve done pretty well with what you had - looking good. How big was that shed !

agapanthus

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 23:43 »
Double wow!!!! That looks really fantastic!!! Really, well done!!!!  :D :D

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 06:04 »
Lovely video to record all your hard work,how many baths did you inherit?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

fatbelly

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:53 »
Two years ago we had a fab April here with temps hitting 20c regularly, I sowed my squashes on the back of the warm weather and by May they went out quite big plants. The weather then changed & we had a cold spell that lasted 10 days with driving wind and rain coupled with hail. Needless to say all my squashes died and I had to re buy and re sow the lot.

I now sow my squashes, french and runner beans indoors in mid May and don't plant out until early June.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 09:07 »
Remember - although you are focused on the weather -when you plant your brassicas out - cover them or the pigeons will have them....

fatbelly

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 09:23 »
when you plant your brassicas out - cover them or the pigeons will have them....
The Pigeons will decimate your Brassicas within a week if not netted. Netting of Brassicas is vital.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 09:36 »
The Pigeons will decimate your Brassicas within a week if not netted. Netting of Brassicas is vital.

Oh come on, they don't take that long!  :lol:

First year on my current site, they disappeared when I nipped home for lunch!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mrgrower

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 23:56 »
The shed is 18ft and badly constructed but you get what you pay for I guess. I inherited 5 baths however a memo has gone round telling plot holders they can no longer have baths on site however The site boss has said if the council want them of our site they need to come and get them as most where there when we came so lets see what happens there  :D Thanks for the information on the brasicas will keep that in mind. I have just taken on another overgrown plot that no one else would work the good thing is it gets the sun all day and it is big enough to put two decent sized polytunnels on which is the plan once the plots cleared.

Wish me luck  :D :D :D

xx
OK I Know I Shouldn't But...

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 08, 2014, 16:42
by MickyB
xx
Tell me I shouldn't buy these tomorrow...

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 13:21
by Willow_Warren
xx
Shouldn't have planted

Started by treacleminer on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2009, 20:45
by FCG
xx
Things growing where they shouldn't be

Started by Maccbean on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 06:04
by DD.

Page created in 0.436 seconds with 37 queries.