strawberry stacking pots

• 62 Replies

jay001

• Experienced Member
strawberry stacking pots
« on: April 27, 2013, 04:43 »
on here last year I remember people building these using poundland pots in tiers could someone please explain how it is done . . .and if its not being to cheekie could you please include a photo.
thanks jay  :blush: :blush:
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

grendel

Re: strawberry stacking pots
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 07:59 »
the triple and quadruple pots have grooves in the bottom that allows them to stack on each other, I just filled mine with compost and stacked them one on another, then planted the strawberries in them.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

grendel

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 08:05 »
like this.
IMG_3254 (Small).JPG
IMG_3255 (Small).JPG

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 08:29 »
I like it in a five, mine is only three but it looks rather nice as a bigger stack.
God bless poundland, I love the place. Mind you our local one does attract some very interesting people  :blink:

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 10:41 »
thanks for the pics grendal I know what I,m looking for now & so simple !! . .didn't realize till I saw it how simple the thing is to construct,will be having a play on Monday where as beetroot queen said,we will no doubt . . .meet some interesting people  :ohmy:  :ohmy:   :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 13:52 »
This is the one I made last year Jay, but OH put a steel threaded rod through the middle for me to stop the wind blowing it over as it is a bit tall! 

It gets very windy here, so I keep it just inside the greenhouse.  Had lots of strawberries last year!  Only thing is, it does get dry quite quickly, so I use the water retaining gel.
Strawbs june 12.jpg
IMG_2582 (240 x 320).jpg

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 22:04 »
I loved GrannieAnnie's idea and basically copied her! ;) :lol:

I ordered my pots online though.
I shall either plant the runners up the allotment next year or buy another set of pots!
We'll see. :happy:
Strawberry tier 2013.jpg

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 22:51 »
Oh trust you to go all posh on us! lol  But I like the little stand on the bottom. 

I bought a plant stand on little wheels from Wilko for mine, and I can turn it round easily to water the other side!   :lol:

Oh and being their first year I cut the runners off to give the new plants more of a chance.  I've also just bought another 30 strawberries from Marshalls for £11.85 incl del, and just sorted out a big pot that I'd grown tomatoes in last year, but hadn't noticed that the alpine strawberries I'd grown in it the previous year had self seeded all over it and now I've got hundreds of little alpine strawberry plants too!   ::) ::)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 22:54 by GrannieAnnie »

agapanthus

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 23:50 »
This is the one I made last year Jay, but OH put a steel threaded rod through the middle for me to stop the wind blowing it over as it is a bit tall! 

It gets very windy here, so I keep it just inside the greenhouse.  Had lots of strawberries last year!  Only thing is, it does get dry quite quickly, so I use the water retaining gel.

Brilliant idea!!!....do you buy them singularly or in packs? Really wish we had a poundland hereabouts

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 23:55 »

Brilliant idea!!!....do you buy them singularly or in packs? Really wish we had a poundland hereabouts

When I got these ones last year Anna, they were £1 each  :lol:  but buy 3 for £2, so even better bargain!

Brian has just bought 10 of the quadruple size and wants me to grow trailing petunias for them!

You don't have a poundland near you?   I wonder if they deliver?   mmm wish I could get Brian to bring me over, I could get you some!

grendel

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 23:57 »
when I bought mine the 4 pot ones were £1 each and the 3 pot ones 3 for the price of 2 (£2).
Grendel

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 00:00 »
This year our poundland didn't have any of the 3 pot ones.  I think everybody must have read our earlier threads Grendel!   :lol:

Anna, there is a poundland in Thetford and Bury, do you ever get over there?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 02:56 »
I bought a strawberry barrel before I saw Grannies 'assembly' and my strawb's have unfortunately been infested by the evil (vine) weevil.  :( Despite watering in the expensive nematodes, it's not got rid of them, so I think it's going to have to go.  I don't know if it's that they don't like the stacking planters so much because they chill quicker, but they are certainly easier to water and don't seem to have suffered so much...Poundland it is then...again... ::) :lol:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

agapanthus

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 10:38 »
This year our poundland didn't have any of the 3 pot ones.  I think everybody must have read our earlier threads Grendel!   :lol:

Don't often go out at all Annie and at the moment it's out of the question 'cos I'm not able to drive. I'll check their website out.  I don't think you'll be able to get B to drive you out  :(  ::)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 11:31 »

Don't often go out at all Annie and at the moment it's out of the question 'cos I'm not able to drive. I'll check their website out.  I don't think you'll be able to get B to drive you out  :(  ::)

We have them in ours, not on three for two though. Can you order online from pound land

xx
swede V paper pots or peat pots

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 19:28
by rowlandwells
xx
Pots Grown In Pots For Christmas.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 31, 2007, 21:32
by mkhenry
xx
Strawberry bed - Strawberry sawfly

Started by R0b1et on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 04, 2023, 13:12
by R0b1et
xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 37 queries.