compost bin design question . . . .

• 28 Replies

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.traffordangling.co.uk
« on: December 14, 2007, 10:48 »
having some brainwaves  :shock:  after reading up on compost bins . . . . .  thinking along the lines of  3 -   3 foot by 3 foot waney lap panels, with a wire mesh 'door' on the front so it can breathe and  be opened to 'turn' it, then maybe a top that can be placed over in cold weather to keep heat in and remove in the warmer weather  etc etc . . . . . . . .

anything obviously wrong with a design like this or a simple improvement that could be made??? is an open meshed front a good idea or not necessary  ?

Selkie

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 10:49 »
would a wire side mean that it would dry out very quickly though?

WG.

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 10:54 »
IMHO the best type is like this :

A wormery is pictured but I use the same wood for compost bins (up to 6ft tall).

I have used free wood (rough backs from a sawmill) but tanalised wood with the same notches cut in the ends will last for many many years.

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 11:22 »
just thought a wired front might help it to breathe and speed or help the composting process? i was under the impression they needed a certain amount of air to them and W.G's looks fairly well ventilated?

thing is, i always have the option of covering it up with a board if i need to?

also thought that as waney lap panels aren't exactly 'sealed' this would be beneficial too? and besides, i've got 5 that i've just taken out and replaced so am thinking i either recycle em or burn em lol  :lol:

WG.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 11:25 »
Use what you've got and you'll never want for anything, mate.  You could use the panels on all four sides - just come up with an arrangement which lets you dismantle easily.

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 11:34 »
cheers  W.G.   :D

it'd be just as easy to make 4 panels as 3 . . . . .  was going to hinge one so it can be opened and turned easily enough so i suppose it may as well have 4 solid sides to it  . . . .  

i do like the simplicity of yours, wish we had the wood lying around to do one like that   . . . .    :roll:

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 16:04 »
I built my main bin on a Geoff Hamilton style. All sides are used wood floor panels with a hinged wood panel roof. The 2 sides and back are solidly screwed into the corner supports, but the front has 2 slot channels on both sides so that front panels can be simply dropped in or slipped out when adding or removing compost. The construction keeps out truly pesky racoons, rats and other scavengers. The base sits on hardware cloth which no vermin can dig through.  In front of the bins I set down 2 ft sq pavers so that I can pull out the compost and easily scoop it back up for return. Wish I could send a pic but the bin is buried in snow at the moment.

As for breathing, the bin has enough small gaps from the panels that it's not a problem. Worms are not essential for making compost, only the percentages of varying 'ingredients' will heat up the contents quickly.  :wink:

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 19:11 »
thanks for that trillium, i like the idea of the front panel sliding out, so if i'm getting you properly, you can raise the panel. remove/rotate the compost, slot it back in and refill?

sounds good to me if i understand you properly, and yes, i would have loved a pic but never mind  . . .maybe after the thaw then  . . .  lol  :D

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 20:03 »
The bin is made of old flooring slats. Being the perfectionist that I am, I lined them up level all the way around. The front 'panel' is actually the loose slats, cut to size, which slip down one at a time into the little wooden U channels on each side. You can either add another slat at a time as the bin fills or simply put all the slats in (as I do) so nothing gets out or in (such as vermin). If you can access the Ornamental Kitchen Garden video or book, Geoff's is more of a fancy beehive style, while mine is simple since no one sees it lurking behind flower bushes.  :wink:

noshed

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 21:44 »
Mine are just pallets tied together with rope and wire. The fronts open like a door and you can run a barrow right up to them and tip it in.
I cover them with old fertiliser bags and bin bags full of packing material.
They are very scruffy but seem to work OK.
I have 4 of them and one dalek.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Selkie

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 22:16 »
Mine is the same as NoShed's; though mine is really bockety because I made it myself about 3 years ago. We also have two of the daleky ones, which I usually use for nearly composted compost.

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 15:37 »
Quote from: "WG."

And I thought my garden was messy  :lol:  :lol:  

Hey, Wiggy, what's with the holes in the building roof? Collecting snow and rain for water for the house?  :wink:

WG.

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 15:45 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
And I thought my garden was messy  
Cheeky vraitch! :tongue2:

BTW, I don't recall seeing any piccies of either you or your garden ...

mkhenry

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 20:59 »
Quote from: "WG."

A wormery is pictured but I use the same wood for compost bins (up to 6ft tall).

I have used free wood (rough backs from a sawmill) but tanalised wood with the same notches cut in the ends will last for many many years.

I thought this was another Barret Home Ready For Occupation. :lol:  :lol:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 21:11 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"

I thought this was another Barret Home Ready For Occupation. :lol:  :lol:

Timbers too good  :wink:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

xx
wormery design?

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post March 30, 2007, 21:46
by jackiestagg
xx
HELP... me design me allotment

Started by gizooty on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post December 07, 2009, 21:53
by greenshoots
xx
Polytunnel Interior Design

Started by digga666 on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 08:16
by Kristen
xx
seeper hose design help

Started by dmg on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post June 28, 2015, 09:08
by Snoop

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 36 queries.