Anyone got any pound land success stories.

• 21 Replies

Beetroot queen

Anyone got any pound land success stories.
« on: April 24, 2013, 19:10 »
My two blueberries didn't make it but we have had loads from there that has.
Anyone else love it, I know some people say you get what you pay for but at a pound each I somehow feel like I am saving these plants  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Anyone got any pound land success stories.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 20:34 »
Pentland Javelin early spuds were a success the last few years as were their onion sets.

seaside

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 21:47 »
Yes. The 5m fleeces are fine, and quite strong enough, good value. Not so impressed with the netting. 2nd early potatoes and nice and spicy seed jamboree are yet to prove themselves, but early signs are promising.... ie ... the seed has germinated.

digalotty

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 21:55 »
3 tier plant pots ....great value
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

shed head

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 22:01 »
chicken wire......useless >:(

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 22:04 »
My best buy as some of you know was the stacking triple plant pots like digalotty said.  My strawberries are growing again and Brian bought some of the quadruple ones for me to grow him some trailing petunias.  Funny he didn't offer to pay for the seeds or the compost though!  ::)

My biggest failure was I bought £6 of their strawberries, but some of the packs only had 1 in, but none of them did anything.  They just looked like little bits of root, some had a couple of dead leaves on, but with the others you couldn't tell what was up and what was down.  I took them out of the pot I'd put them in and they are sitting in a tray of water, but I can't see them doing anything, so I bought some more of the Elsanta strawberries that I got from Marshall's last year.

I've also re-potted my little alpine strawberries and I've got loads of them.  Then Brian showed me a big patch at the side of the garden where I'd had them the year before last, and some strawberries must have fallen outside the pot as they've self seeded, and we've got hundreds of the things!   :lol: :lol:  That will please Pennydog as she loves them!

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 22:13 »
Whats the survey for??
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Muls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 22:26 »
I bought some tayberry, red and black currants and gooseberry from Poundland , they are all looking great at the moment  :D fingers crossed.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 06:31 »
My dad gave me one of those stacking pots, I wasn't sure but put my strawberries in so hopefully they will do great.

I have my fingers crossed that my tayberries will do well but first signs look good.  :D very happy for a pound although if I take my mother in she's constantly asking how much something is

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 10:15 »
we have Stuttgart onion sets making a move after planting on april 9th,maris peer seed potts doing well,large hanging baskets ,liners and brackets all good (took 1 bracket back as weld came undone when taking it out of the bag (well a quid is a quid  :tongue2:) most of our spring bulbs all breaking through but sadly us also not impressed with bluberry bush (time may prove us wrong  :nowink:) but alsentta strawbs are prob going to give us nothing . . .should not have penny pinched there me thinks  :D but overall very happy with most things ,oh and the small plastic greenhouse is full of very strong seedlings mostly grown from there seed.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

Beetroot queen

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 11:23 »
My friend put in a blueberry at the same time as me and she's just textedto say she can see a green shoot. S I won't throw mine on the compost just yet.  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 12:52 »
My dad gave me one of those stacking pots, I wasn't sure but put my strawberries in so hopefully they will do great.

I have my fingers crossed that my tayberries will do well but first signs look good.  :D very happy for a pound although if I take my mother in she's constantly asking how much something is

The only thing with the stackers is, depending on where someone lves, the wind can blow them over, so think about how high they are.  My strawberry tower is 10 high and the wind here is very bad, so I keep it in the greenhouse, near the door.  They can dry out quite quickly, so I added some water retaining gel which helped.

Out of 29 plants last year I got about 11lbs of lovely strawberries!

Willow_Warren

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 13:11 »
I had strawberries in a 3 tier stacker, I had no problems which it falling over (which is surprising), but it was hard to keep watered!  Although we had a wet summer I just couldn't keep them watered and unfortunatly I lost all my strawberry plants :(

I don't know what to do with my stacker pots this year????  I don't want to leave them empty... maybe a pack of pounland water retaining gell will help...???

Hannah :)

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 13:13 »
Bought a pack of Stuttgarter Onions and either 100% success or 98%.
Planted some time back before the cold spell - Feb/March at a guess, think I put in 48 of them (50 in the bag), before running out of space, and either all have come up or lost 1. There is a slight gap but the gap may well have been me getting the spacing a bit wrong. Good chance in favour that I didn't actually put one there.

So good and no complaints. All looking pretty strong at present as well. May actually get a decent crop.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 13:46 »
My pots are only stacked three high, no problems here with lack of water we have a helping toddler, they may well be drowned.

If I hear the words "me help" once more I may jump I the water butt and drown myself. Bless her she is good but nothing gets done above snail speed.

xx
Send us your GYO success stories!

Started by willdunn on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 21, 2009, 11:45
by karooba007
xx
Intercropping success stories 2010

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 15:25
by Goosegirl
xx
success at last !!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 18:57
by starry
xx
will i have success?

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 15:14
by Charl89

Page created in 0.593 seconds with 39 queries.