Courgettes

• 50 Replies

compostqueen

Re: Courgettes
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2013, 10:02 »
I've not sown mine yet as they take so little time to germinate and will get away faster when the weather is warm. Cold soil and heavy rain are not good news for them, so I'm sitting on my hands. We had torrential rain and hail yesterday  :(

I adore courgettes and love to plant different varieties. A ridged one for cog-like slices, a yellow one, a round one, a pale green one, one with sparse foliage, one with silvered foliage. I'm a complete courgette anorak  :blush:

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2013, 13:39 »
I just really like eating them. And it's just hit me that they might well make a good substitute for aubergine in pasta melanzane :)

They're such versatile veggies though, aren't they. I like having several plants so I can let some fruit get really big and stuff them.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2013, 16:58 »
I cannot stand Courgettes, seems to me that when cooked they are akin to what a ... well I won't go on. BUT, I am putting in a tray for my mom who does like them, and I popped the seeds in today in my potting shed. It was today, or mid may which is a bit late. They may sit for a bit yet before sprouting given its quite cool at the moment but I'm sure they'll be fine :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2013, 17:18 »
And it's just hit me that they might well make a good substitute for aubergine in pasta melanzane :)

or in  moussaka or  aubergine parmigiana or pasta alla Norma or caponata etc etc  :lol:

I gave up trying to grow Aubergines but can grow courgettes easily so use them in lots of recipes instead now  :lol:

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2013, 20:29 »
This is my first year growing courgettes, so sorry if a silly question, Google isn't too helpful.

Is it normal for their cotyledon leaves to die off after a while? They're drying into a crispy pappery material around the edges that is continuing inward. If it's normal should I remove them or leave them be?

compostqueen

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2013, 20:42 »
Rowan    There are many ways of cooking them so I think you're missing a trick somewhere. They are great in buns and cakes

Yes this is normal and I leave them be

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2013, 21:07 »
They're quite horrible if boiled into soggy pulp, a la English cooking.

MOS - do they really hold together well in a layered bake like aubergine parmigiana? I've never really tried using them like that because I thought they'd disintegrate. Aubergines are on their last chance with me this year. Last year I had a grand total of three or four miniature fruit from 8 plants in my tunnel, and that was my best year :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2013, 21:10 »
I'm trying grafted aubergines - if they don't grow then never again!
Not until I move to a warmer climate anyway!!! :lol:

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2013, 21:37 »

Appreciated. It's quite concerning to see leaves shrivelling up on one plant while all the others types are fine  :tongue2:

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2013, 21:43 »

Appreciated. It's quite concerning to see leaves shrivelling up on one plant while all the others types are fine  :tongue2:

I worry little about the 'baby' seedling leaves on any plant once the 'grown up' leaves are in ;) :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2013, 22:12 »

MOS - do they really hold together well in a layered bake like aubergine parmigiana? I've never really tried using them like that because I thought they'd disintegrate.
They seem to hold up just fine here, just quickly flash fry them before layering if you're worried about it ;)

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2013, 22:16 »

MOS - do they really hold together well in a layered bake like aubergine parmigiana? I've never really tried using them like that because I thought they'd disintegrate.
They seem to hold up just fine here, just quickly flash fry them before layering if you're worried about it ;)

mmmm lightly, quickly fried - prefect - they hold together no probs ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2013, 22:23 »
quickly fried - prefect - they hold together no probs

I should think you'd need to cook a prefect for quite a while before they were edible  :ohmy:  :lol: :lol:

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2013, 22:24 »
quickly fried - prefect - they hold together no probs

I should think you'd need to cook a prefect for quite a while before they were edible  :ohmy:  :lol: :lol:

:ohmy:   :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was never a prefect - sure they taste just perfect though! ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eblana

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2013, 15:06 »
I was in my sisters on Saturday night and she was telling me that her children won't eat any pasta dishes unless there is courgette in them (and they can tell the difference!) - apparently I gave her a couple about two years ago and the lads loved it.  I didn't grow them last year because of the massive glut I had the year before so she has been BUYING them ever since :( :(

I have a good few plants started this year because a friend of mine offered to start off cucks if I started off the courgettes, I was going to chance a plant one or two under my Munty Frame and I am going to send the spare plants out to her try grow her own.

xx
courgettes etc

Started by pwgun on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 14:59
by Trillium
xx
Courgettes

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 04, 2019, 14:41
by Robster
xx
courgettes

Started by gread on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 15, 2007, 09:38
by lucywil
xx
Courgettes

Started by mpv1961 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 08:46
by JayG

Page created in 0.968 seconds with 38 queries.