Acid Beds

• 4 Replies

Hitman

Acid Beds
« on: April 21, 2013, 21:03 »
Hello,

I have a number of Blueberry bushes currently in pots.  Since moving house I would like to put them in an acid raised bed, i.e. a permanent home.  I have tested the soil and it is neutral -alkali.

I have calculated that to fill a raised bed full of ericaceous compost will cost quite a bit. So I was wondering if there are any other ways of changing the ph of a soil to the acid side?

Many thanks.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Acid Beds
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 21:31 »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 21:46 »
No need to fill the whole bed - plant them in a goodly amount of ericaceous compost, and in subsequent years use sulphur as Mum suggests (good luck finding powdered sulphur which works quicker - I could only find it in pellet form, although I didn't try that hard.)

Ammonium sulphate is an acidifying source of nitrogen watered in as a feed, and mulching with pine needles helps too. Use rainwater for watering, especially if your tap water is very hard.

Check the pH from time to time - it's possible to over or under-do it, although any changes you make are quite slow to take effect.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 22:17 »
I had mine in pots and only yesterday planted them in the garden, I used the right compost but didn't think about checking the ph. Saying that next door have a beautiful plum tree and they only like acidic soil, i did check lasr year as all my peas died after planting . . .Must remember to lime before planting my peas and broccoli :D
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 22:23 »
plum trees grow well in most soils so may still best to check ph  :dry:

xx
ACID SOIL

Started by geddall on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2010, 20:19
by Salmo
xx
Soil acid

Started by Paul Rhodes on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2008, 22:25
by nobby
xx
Lactic Acid Bacteria (LAB)

Started by Josh Cooper on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 08, 2024, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
acid soil discovered after planting

Started by Battlefield Betsy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 08:52
by Kristen

Page created in 0.498 seconds with 38 queries.