Frost -

• 55 Replies

pedro

Frost -
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 20:28 »
Managed to get on my plot early this morning and got some digging done before the sun made too sticky.
Had my thermals on and with the sun shining bright really enjoyed it.
also managed to build a cage for leaf mould. :lol:

new_2_veg

Frost -
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 20:41 »
the ground here has been white all day and not cleared!

its getting worse now as its another hard frost and cant even walk outside without slipping
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Frost -
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 20:43 »
We could really do with a long, hard cold spell, so that the frost gets deep into the soil & kills off alll those nasties. But I suspect we won't see one.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

pedro

Frost -
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 20:55 »
frost only melted where the sun got to otherwise stayed very white.

Trillium

Frost -
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 21:36 »
We have hard frost and more in our soils but it doesn't kill the nasties, only puts them into hibernation, drat!

Fast way to clean frost off the outside of windshields - dump a jug of water over the windshield and hit the wiper button. Works a charm. That's how we do it even when temps bottom out at -20C. Doesn't even need to be warm water, just wet.

Rob the rake

Frost -
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 21:44 »
I tried that once and ended up with a windscreen-shaped icicle. There must be a knack to it.  :D
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

WG.

Frost -
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 21:48 »
Quote from: "Rob the rake"
There must be a knack to it.  :D
Yup - more water

pedro

Frost -
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2007, 21:56 »
Ihave always done that for about fourty years also over the external mirrors and side glasses (i use slightly warmed water) never had a broken glass.

noshed

Frost -
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 22:37 »
A nice lorry driver is handy though
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Trillium

Frost -
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 05:07 »
Quote from: "Rob the rake"
I tried that once and ended up with a windscreen-shaped icicle. There must be a knack to it.  :D

Yes - hit the wiper button soon as you dump the water :!:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Frost -
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2007, 06:50 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
We have hard frost and more in our soils but it doesn't kill the nasties, only puts them into hibernation, drat!

Our bugs are not used to it! I don't think once frozen a slug comes back to life! I don't think it's good for their eggs either!

paintedlady

Frost -
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2007, 09:26 »
Last winter there had been a very hard frost and the next day I went to the allotment to get on with cutting wood and positioning them for the raised beds.  The dirt footpaths in between each bed were rock hard until the sun came out and melted the top surface of the soil - combined with an extra inch of clay clinging to the soles of my boots, it was scary sliding about, often doing windmill impressions for balance!  So if the forecast is icy this weekend, I think I might just stay indoors instead and actually start thinking about getting the house looking more festive :D
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

WG.

Frost -
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2007, 09:33 »
Quote from: "DD."
Our bugs are not used to it! I don't think once frozen a slug comes back to life! I don't think it's good for their eggs either!
Sorry but it takes a very hard prolonged frost to go more than an inch into the soil.  The slugs simply go into hiding away from the frost.

Rob the rake

Frost -
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2007, 09:40 »
What about whitefly, WG?

gobs

Frost -
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2007, 09:42 »
The frost killing the nasties has been around in print and all so much, that we tend to take it for granted, whereas if you think about it, it cannot be so.

That would mean they materialize out of thin air every spring. They've been hiding all along, I think.

Only adult flies, etc get killed by cold, if they are not dead already as finished their short lives and the species survives in another form, according to their own life cycle, egg, pupae, larvae. Some others hibernate, in wood, crooks, leaves, etc.

Slugs don't get frozen, they are nice and cosy deep down in your carrot or elsewhere, only come out once it thawed. In fact they hibernate both in cold and dry weather.

And the eggs of your green fly are laid, carefully positioned, ready to hatch in the first warm spell of the spring, as sods law would have it, sooner than the ladybirds come out of hibernation and get active. :roll:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Here comes the frost

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 21, 2008, 16:57
by compostqueen
xx
Frost

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 04, 2023, 17:58
by missmoneypenny
xx
Frost

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 06, 2019, 18:19
by mumofstig
xx
Frost!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 02, 2007, 07:21
by Sven The Swede

Page created in 0.828 seconds with 36 queries.