Worried about cucumbers

• 8 Replies

Muddywaters

Worried about cucumbers
« on: April 18, 2013, 19:01 »
I have my cucumbers growing on my windowsill. They have grown like crazy, now almost 2ft. In 6inch pots.What should I do? It's getting a bit warmer now. Can I transplant them to my unheated greenhouse?
Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.

willp

Re: Worried about cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 19:08 »
Probably a bit cold in the unheated GH. It needs to be a minimum of about 15c in there, day and night.

Given the right warmth and light, they `ll grow like the clappers though - I`d sow some more now (it`s not too late - I grow mine outside and they`ll stay in the seed packet until  may) in case yours are too leggy by the time overnight temps in your greenhouse are high enough.

Will

Muddywaters

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 20:01 »
Thanks Will.
I think I will do both. Re-pot the already growing cucumbers in larger pots and try to keep them going until warmer weather. (They look so good). Also sow some new ones.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 23:12 »
If you are going to plant some more seeds, then I would risk planting in the greenhous and fleece them at night because repotting a leggy cucumber might cause the stem to rot.

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 08:18 »
If you are going to plant some more seeds, then I would risk planting in the greenhous and fleece them at night because repotting a leggy cucumber might cause the stem to rot.

Another questioned answered today .... need to sow some cucumbers and didnt want more pots in the house!! How many seeds should I sow ... never grown cucumbers before, plan for them to grow up my monty frames. With all my chillis, tomatoes and peppers I dont think I'll have the room in my GH.
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

Springlands

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 08:56 »
Hi Ally - most cukes like heat so if you are going to grow them outdoors make sure that you get the correct variety, for example marketmore or crystal lemon. One good thing about growing cukes outdoors is that they do not seem to get the dreaded stem rot so easily as the indoor ones.

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 09:44 »
Hi Ally - most cukes like heat so if you are going to grow them outdoors make sure that you get the correct variety, for example marketmore or crystal lemon. One good thing about growing cukes outdoors is that they do not seem to get the dreaded stem rot so easily as the indoor ones.

Excellant I have a packet of marketmore .... will get them going and see if I can grow them!!  Love a pickled cucumber salad :)

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 10:30 »
I think you should hold off until the end of April - cukes germinate and grow quite quickly - you do not want them to be ready too early and then have to try to hold them back before you plant them out.

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 10:35 »
I think you should hold off until the end of April - cukes germinate and grow quite quickly - you do not want them to be ready too early and then have to try to hold them back before you plant them out.

Thanks for the advice springlands ... I will hold off til mayday bank holiday! add it to my ever growing list of things to remember to do!

xx
cucumbers not producing any cucumbers

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 09:37
by Springlands
xx
Should I be worried ??

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 23:00
by Trillium
xx
worried

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 10, 2017, 08:45
by Grubbypaws
xx
Comfrey, just a bit worried.

Started by Muddylou on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 14:31
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 36 queries.