Is anyone's Asparagus through.

• 36 Replies

Salmo

Re: Is anyone's Asparagus through.
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 22:09 »
Last year the first few spears were showing in the last week in March and then the weather changed and it went to sleep again for three weeks.

Nothing showing yet but the soil deep under has been cold. When it comes it will be wonderful.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 05:49 »
First few spears just breaking through the soil surface on a couple of my plants at home  :)  As you say Salmo, when it comes its wonderful so late or not, who cares  :)

Lottiman

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 07:58 »
Mine is through about an inch or there abouts, around 20 or so spears not many I know but I only have 12 crowns should have put in more  :nowink:  This will be our first pick year 3,  how many spears do you take the first time could someone tell me  :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 08:00 by Lottiman »
Optimism probably a gardeners best tool.

Cake Lady

• Experienced Member
    • The Allotment Good Life
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 08:21 »
Mine weren't through on Monday, but am off down the allotment today to check if the winds blown my netting away so will have a look.  I only planted crowns last year, but they all came up.  They were just a bit spindly but I've added lots of manure and compost so here's hoping for a better crop.

I'm not sure how much to crop this year either, but I believe its quite lightly.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 09:06 »
I can remember when I first planted the asparagus crowns, they didn't make a show until late early May and we hadn't had a particularly cold winter or spring.  The following year they came up mid April, the year after early April .... I think the more established they are, the earlier they come up when conditions are right so anyone with new crowns shouldn't be getting worried just yet.

As for established crowns, well I'd be surprised if they made a show yet.  Only the other weekend when I was digging the soil it was still very cold below the surface, and although we've had a few mild days and some sunshine this week, it's hardly tropical.  When I see some greenery on the trees then it won't be long after  ;)

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 09:16 »
Lottiman,

The usual advice is to only take a couple in the first couple of years and let the rest grow to full fern before cutting them back down in late autumn when the start to turn brown.

This will enable the ferns to feed the crown to produce a better crop in the following year and so and so forth.

Apparently by around year 10 they can produce up to 25 spears per crown, but you always need to leave some to go to full fern.
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 13:10 »
I can remember when I first planted the asparagus crowns, they didn't make a show until late early May and we hadn't had a particularly cold winter or spring.  The following year they came up mid April, the year after early April .... I think the more established they are, the earlier they come up when conditions are right so anyone with new crowns shouldn't be getting worried just yet.

As for established crowns, well I'd be surprised if they made a show yet.  Only the other weekend when I was digging the soil it was still very cold below the surface, and although we've had a few mild days and some sunshine this week, it's hardly tropical.  When I see some greenery on the trees then it won't be long after  ;)

I guess there must be many factors to be considered.  I'm presumably not too far away from you as I'm in South Notts, but the asparagus I've inherited is well established and has started popping through - only about half an inch though. Although not tropical yet, something must be right for them!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 14:31 »

I guess there must be many factors to be considered.  I'm presumably not too far away from you as I'm in South Notts, but the asparagus I've inherited is well established and has started popping through - only about half an inch though. Although not tropical yet, something must be right for them!

:D oh absolutely -  my plot is at the bottom of a hill so cold air drops and in spring keeps it on the cool side a little longer than those on the top of the hill.  Even a micro environment helps too - south facing, a nice sheltered spot, maybe against a wall which warms up in the sun and slowly releases heat afterwards. 

Lottiman

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 20:46 »
Lottiman,

The usual advice is to only take a couple in the first couple of years and let the rest grow to full fern before cutting them back down in late autumn when the start to turn brown.

This will enable the ferns to feed the crown to produce a better crop in the following year and so and so forth.

Apparently by around year 10 they can produce up to 25 spears per crown, but you always need to leave some to go to full fern.

Thanks wizzyfax I will pick 2 or 3 spears from each crown. :)

fatcat1955

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 18:25 »
Mine's up.

Lardman

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2013, 14:25 »
Checked my notes and last year it started to show 30/03. I've just checked the bed really carefully and there are no signs of life at all so far this year, even the weeds seem really subdued.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 20:23 »
Checked my notes and last year it started to show 30/03. I've just checked the bed really carefully and there are no signs of life at all so far this year, even the weeds seem really subdued.

My weeds too are also subdued! :lol:

No asparagus either :D

1monkey1

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2013, 23:11 »
I'm in liverpool and I think mines growing the other way to australia!

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2013, 23:57 »
mine this afternoon!
download 1.jpg
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

Salmo

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 00:09 »
Mine is through about an inch or there abouts, around 20 or so spears not many I know but I only have 12 crowns should have put in more  :nowink:  This will be our first pick year 3,  how many spears do you take the first time could someone tell me  :)

Usual advice is,  pick everything for three weeks in the first year of picking, and then let the rest grow to ferm.

After that pick everything until the longest day, 21st June, and then let the rest grow to fern.

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 19, 2012, 18:37
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 37 queries.