How many hens

• 24 Replies

Sassy

Re: How many hens
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 08:26 »
I started with Hybrids. I then went onto rare breeds which seem to have fewer problems. They also live longer although they do not lay so prolifically they do lay for longer. It is really just personal choice. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Bren200

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 12:31 »
I like the orpinton hens but some have said to me not them as they go broddy?

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 14:55 »
To me, having hens going broody has never been a problem, its just part of what they do naturally!  OK, they might stop laying for a couple of weeks, but I have never had a problem with that, it gives their bodies a natural break.  In fact, they make me laugh even more when they're broody, they're really funny when their mothering instincts kick in!  ::)

Yes, some breeds go broody more than others, and hybrids have generally had more of their broody instincts bred out of them, but to me its just part of nature, let them get on with it!  They can be easily broken with a couple of nights in the sin bin if they're being persistent! (OK, SOME hens can be easily broken....)

...ooh, and of my hens the one that goes broody most regularly is my Speckeldy hybrid, not my pure breeds!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 08:05 by GYO Girl »
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

helens-hens

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 16:17 »
I started with 2 Blackrock 'types' (same sort of cross but not the 'official' ones). They were great to start with in the sense that they were great layers & quite docile and easy to handle. Unfortunately though they didn't live that long - both had died within just over 2 and a half years. Hybrids are designed for egg production and unfortunately this does seem to take it out of them. I have heard though that the official Blackrock strain is both a prolific layer and also longer lived.

I now have 1 Ranger type hybrid hen (Light Sussex / RIR, great layer and reasonably docile) and 2 traditional breed hens: 1 Welsummer & 1 Plmouth Rock. The Welsummer is lovely looking bird and a good layer (and she is only 6 months old) but she is very, very nervous / skittish - quite literally scared of her own shadow. I don't know if it is a breed trait but I am glad I didn't have her as one of my first birds!

The Plymouth Rock is the most docile & friendly of the 3. She has only recently started laying but is doing quite well. Again I don't know if she is typical of her breed but she is a lovely little character.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 16:19 by helens-hens »
Helen

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 19:11 »
The Welsummer is lovely looking bird and a good layer (and she is only 6 months old) but she is very, very nervous / skittish - quite literally scared of her own shadow. I don't know if it is a breed trait but I am glad I didn't have her as one of my first birds!

Both my Welsummer and 2 Welsummer bantams are similar but they are young so I am hoping they will calm down a little as they mature.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Bren200

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 20:06 »
I think I am going to look up hen breeds now. Anyone got any idea's on hen breeds for first time keepers.

ANHBUC

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 22:10 »
That is why I chose the Black Rock, I did loads of research.  I wanted a good layer that was hardy and more likely to live to a decent age.  Mine are just over 2 1/2 years old now and I am really happy with them.  They are beautiful birds with the blue/green sheen to their feathers and they are friendly and inquisitive.

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 07:59 »
Unfortunately though they didn't live that long - both had died within just over 2 and a half years. Hybrids are designed for egg production and unfortunately this does seem to take it out of them. I have heard though that the official Blackrock strain is both a prolific layer and also longer lived.

Relieved to read this, thanks, because my Black Rock died yesterday, aged just under 3 years!  Glad it was nothing I did wrong.  She was indeed a prolific layer, bless her.  Will probably replace her with another later this year, she was my best layer.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 08:01 by GYO Girl »

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 11:27 »
Take a look at this chart, it is really helpful in finding the right breed for your set up. -
http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

ANHBUC

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 11:43 »
Unfortunately though they didn't live that long - both had died within just over 2 and a half years. Hybrids are designed for egg production and unfortunately this does seem to take it out of them. I have heard though that the official Blackrock strain is both a prolific layer and also longer lived.

Relieved to read this, thanks, because my Black Rock died yesterday, aged just under 3 years!  Glad it was nothing I did wrong.  She was indeed a prolific layer, bless her.  Will probably replace her with another later this year, she was my best layer.

Sorry to hear your Black Rock died.  Did she have any symptoms over the past few days?  :(

If you are going to replace her with another Back Rock best to get a genuine one from an approved agent.  You are best to book getting your birds in advance so you are not disappointed.   ;)

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 38 queries.