Can I get a refund?

• 16 Replies

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
Can I get a refund?
« on: April 12, 2013, 08:23 »
Hi, bought some seeds for peppers from T&M, followed instructions on the packet and only 1 has sprouted. They're not cheap and you only get 25 seeds in a packet... what do you think my chances are of getting a refund... or at least a replacement? 

landgirl28

Re: Can I get a refund?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 08:32 »
Hi, my mum had zero germination from a packet of tomato seeds. She called the company & they sent her vouchers for more seeds. They were very apologetic too! It's worth the phone call, especially if they were expensive seeds.

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 08:36 »
Love them or hate them T&M are good at refund's. Give them a bell .

Stree

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 11:34 »
Twice I have had duff seeds from T&M, once Nicotiana packet that contained no seeds ( seed merchant said I was not the first) and this year a pack of Chatsworth sweet pea that totally failed to germinate.
In both instances I got replacement packs, but took about 3 weeks.
Looks like they have run out of the good stuff from Alan Romans stock then...................

ryetek

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 11:37 »
Hi, bought some seeds for peppers from T&M, followed instructions on the packet and only 1 has sprouted. They're not cheap and you only get 25 seeds in a packet... what do you think my chances are of getting a refund... or at least a replacement?

Just a thought. I know you've followed the instructions on the packet but have you given the seeds a little longer to germinate than the packet states? The reason I ask this is that I've sown peppers for the first time ever this year. The packet instructions gave the germination time as 14 to 21 days. One popped out of the compost last Saturday at exactly 21 days and is doing OK. However the rest of them are only just starting to emerge and it will be 28 days on this Saturday since they were sown. I'd almost given up on them but it's looking good now!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 14:14 by ryetek »

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 14:02 »
Thanks for all the tips, I'll wait another week then call them!

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 20:37 »
I had disasters last year with Swift Sweetcorn and they sent me some new seed packets to replace the other ones.  It was worth doing.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 21:40 »
People mostly succeed if they grumble to a seed company. Usually the seed company knows there is nothing wrong with their seed. THey have tested the germination. It was good when it left the packing factory. They will be polite and generous.

For the sake of the cost of a packet of seed and the postage the seed company will keep your loyalty and you will tell all of your pals what jolly good chaps they are. You may spend lots of money with them next year and with luck so will your pals.

Hand on heart, was the failure really your own fault?

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 22:40 »
I have in the past had a lot of difficulties getting peppers chillies to germinate even with a propagator  then ?I found an old electric on that must be twenty + years old no themostat but it is a mat type and placing the pots on that they sprout within a week but I think the temeperature is well over 20 a lot hotter than my modern one which runs at 19 in which they take 3 weeks so get the temperature up
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 22:42 »
Just a quick comment before we go any further.

No one has said or asked how long these seeds have been in for. I think this my be quite relevant!

May I therefore ask?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 00:33 »
Just a quick comment before we go any further.

No one has said or asked how long these seeds have been in for. I think this my be quite relevant!

May I therefore ask?

What a sensible question Mr Mod.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 07:09 »
Mr Member, please.

I wasn't in mod mode!  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 09:27 »
I had disasters last year with Swift Sweetcorn and they sent me some new seed packets to replace the other ones.  It was worth doing.

I've had problems with both Swift and Sundance sweetcorn (on one occasion apiece) in the last 7 or 8 years (Mr. Fothergills and Suttons respectively.) This is despite using exactly the same successful indoor sowing technique I've employed for the last 15 years or so, and is the reason I now pre-germinate them.

The packets were both "fresh" inasmuch as they had the previous year's "packed in year-ending" date but of course there is no way of knowing when the seeds were actually harvested.......... :unsure:

Both companies replaced their products without any arguments though.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 11:10 »
G8 questions from Salmo & Paul Plots. Of course it may be entirely my own failure, I'm a beginner! But every single other seed started this year has germinated, including the chillies which I planted at the same time 3 weeks ago (scraped out of an actual chilli, rather than a packet). On the other hand, I have killed a few seedlings afterwards, so who knows?  :blink:

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 11:15 »
G8 questions from Salmo & Paul Plots. Of course it may be entirely my own failure, I'm a beginner! But every single other seed started this year has germinated, including the chillies which I planted at the same time 3 weeks ago (scraped out of an actual chilli, rather than a packet). On the other hand, I have killed a few seedlings afterwards, so who knows?  :blink:

It's all an adventure, pot luck and magic no matter how long anyone has been growing and planting.  ;)

Sounds to me as if you're doing pretty well Rawrecruit.   :)

xx
Garlic: Should I Ask for a Refund?

Started by david64 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 31, 2012, 10:32
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.528 seconds with 37 queries.