Potatoes under straw

• 11 Replies

dan808

Potatoes under straw
« on: April 11, 2013, 15:01 »
Hey guys I have a large area of grass I was going to put cardboard over and leave it till next year to grow on, i was a little upset that it would be out of action for a year. But I've seen on you tube I could put spuds on top of the cardboard/ paper and cover them with straw anyone done this or have an opinion on it?
Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.  :-) :-)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Potatoes under straw
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 15:27 »
youtube obviously knows more about it than I do - sorry ;)

garden organic says it can be done slightly differently
http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicgardening/nd_spuds.php
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 15:29 by mumofstig »

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 15:28 »
Cardboard, manure or compost ,potatoes, straw lots of. Done it , it works. Nice clean spuds but lower yield than in the ground. I do not find lots of slug damage although everyone says I should.

Should have said give the cardboard a good soaking first and again when you put the manure/compost on top and again when you put on the straw. After that soak every time you top up the straw.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 15:38 by moose »

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 19:02 »
Haven't tried it myself but I've read the results of others who said the yield wasn't what they hoped for.

dan808

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 19:15 »
I think il give it ago its not really the amount I get I'll be happy with just a few am more bothered about killing the weeds and grass under the cardboard, potatoes are a plus :D. 2birds one stone

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 19:29 »
i did it last year just kept "earthing" up with straw were growing nicely till hit we blight so yield was hard to tell,problem i found weas cost of straw £4 a bale made spuds expensive,dont know if you could use spent straw from stables just sift out the lumps of horse poo?

bravemurphy

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 20:26 »
I haven't done it with straw but did it with black plastic to kill off the weeds and get spuds and it worked very well indeed.

Just had to top up under the plastic with slug pellets because they like it under plastic  :)

Would definitely do it again to get rid of weeds and it may work out cheaper than straw, the plastic would last longer than straw  :)

yaxley

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 20:43 »
Read about the spuds under straw they dug a shallow pit added a little straw placed spuds on to straw then added more straw to fill the pit up .Never tried it myself ..
Grow organic as nature intended

Kirpi

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 00:52 »
My seed potatoes - 1st E, 2nd E and Main have all been snug under a foot of straw and compost for about three weeks now; hoping the weather will turn soon as they will be showing through soon.

Last year's harvest was excellent, good clean harvest as no soil to clean off. Remember to shut the light from growing tubers with grass clippings etc to stop them going green.

snow white

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 20:40 »
Well that's what I did this year, didn't have the time or energy to dig 15sq metres of soil as I only recently got my plot.  If it works well then I might do it next year as well.  This year is an experiment.  Admit straw is a bit dear though.  All in and netted to stop straw flyingaway.  Looks pretty if nothing else!  :happy:

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 21:09 »
I may be fortunate in that I get my straw form a local farmer. Last year £2.50 a bale, going up to £3 this year. I don't net or cover it just damp it down as I spread it.

Kirpi

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 00:48 »
I get mine for free as they always have broken bales or ones with damp, which are fine for the purpose.

xx
potatoes under straw

Started by greenockian on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 16:33
by Broadhaven
xx
Potatoes and straw

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 17:29
by gavinjconway
xx
earthing up potatoes, straw?

Started by boddy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 29, 2014, 10:25
by brokenglass
xx
Potatoes under grass and straw

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 13, 2012, 08:17
by DD.

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 38 queries.