This year I will crack ........

• 58 Replies

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
Re: This year I will crack ........
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2013, 19:03 »
Not good to feel smug on your 3rd post  ::), but thanks guys I feel much better- my spring onions doing fab again this year (London clay?), PSB looking good and cue seed from Lidl last year were pretty good too (in home made half finished kitchen scrap compost, no soil and in a tub)  I had them semi under cover. BUT.......

Tomatoes!!! darn things. always tough, split or bottom end rot, have thrown so many plants into the compost over the years.  Under cover or out, not one good one ever  :ohmy:

Springlands

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2013, 19:09 »
Carrots - most years a total failure - did have a good crop about 5 years ago but it must have been a fluke. Think I am giving up on sweetcorn - have finally decided that our growing season is not long or warm enough (but the again when it does work - yummmmmm).

Trillium

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2013, 19:15 »

Tomatoes!!! darn things. always tough, split or bottom end rot, have thrown so many plants into the compost over the years.  Under cover or out, not one good one ever  :ohmy:

Toms are quite specific in their needs - regular watering, regular side dressing of manure or compost teas, and some sort of calcium source to help the blossom end rot. I find regular watering alone prevents end rot, but your soil might be lacking in calcium elements, perhaps adding  crushed egg shells or even milk will help. A fellow I know in California adds milk yearly to his tom patch.

LINK

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2013, 19:49 »
Toms are quite specific in their needs - regular watering, regular side dressing of manure or compost teas, and some sort of calcium source to help the blossom end rot. I find regular watering alone prevents end rot, but your soil might be lacking in calcium elements, perhaps adding  crushed egg shells or even milk will help. A fellow I know in California adds milk yearly to his tom patch.

Yes, they need calcium but also magnesium deficiency can cause rot.  I feed mine on a general purpose type fertilizer containing lots of trace elements.  I wont waste my money on the flashy bottles of liquid feed with pictures of tomatoes on them.   But I can spend hours in the shop looking for the cheapest soluble feed with lowish nitrogen and high potash with the longest list of trace elements in it.   Some brands of rose fertilizer are quite close!  Best buy has been  £3 for 750g or 160 gals-ish on special clearance offer of battered old packets.

Looking forward to roses on my tom plants this year. Now that would be "something to crack"  :D
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2013, 21:26 »

Yes, they need calcium but also magnesium deficiency can cause rot.  I feed mine on a general purpose type fertilizer containing lots of trace elements.  I wont waste my money on the flashy bottles of liquid feed with pictures of tomatoes on them.   But I can spend hours in the shop looking for the cheapest soluble feed with lowish nitrogen and high potash with the longest list of trace elements in it.   Some brands of rose fertilizer are quite close!  Best buy has been  £3 for 750g or 160 gals-ish on special clearance offer of battered old packets.

Looking forward to roses on my tom plants this year. Now that would be "something to crack"  :D

:ohmy:Milk! who knew (well not me), ok.... will try any tips, thanks for advice

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2013, 22:23 »
Beetroot . . . If im lucky I can use them when my girls loose their hungry hippo balls . . . Totally rubbish  :wacko:
This year will / must do better!
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

AnneB

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2013, 23:04 »
Sweetcorn, I just need to get it to ripen.   Squash,  nothing in the last 3 years, all eaten by slugs.    Dwarf French beans, slug attack again.  Borlotti beans, lots of pods but no actual beans inside.  Sprouts.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2013, 23:46 »
I'm dreadful at growing the root crops like swede and celeriac too - shame as I love eating both! :D
They never come to anything - no idea what I'm doing wrong?? ???

Will have another go this year.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2013, 08:09 »
I want to grow peppers!  Tried last year with limited success, trying again this year (maybe I should emmigrate to warmer climates!)

H :)

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2013, 08:27 »
Its my first year so more a case of trying out rather than cracking, so I have a long list of things I'm having a go on including some I'm not sure will actually work, like coco yam! Plus I have a long history of killing perfectly healthy plants at home... Willow_Warren, am doing peppers too, are they hard? My seeds have failed so far so not doing well.

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2013, 08:48 »
Just remembered, sprouts. I've never managed to grow a single edible sprout, but I've not tried them on the allotment yet, so maybe this year.

fatcat1955

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2013, 09:12 »
Carrot's , 3 year's running and nought. I have even forgotten what they taste like.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2013, 09:27 »
Slugs and snails love carrot seedlings, and can nobble them before you even get to see them (unfortunately this is made even easier by covering with enviromesh as they can do it conveniently sheltered and unobserved.)

I suspect that's the explanation for many apparent "no-shows" when conditions otherwise seem OK.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ryetek

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2013, 12:12 »
Cauliflowers are my nemesis and have always eluded me in the past. I've had no problems with any of the other brassica crops except cauliflowers. This year I'm going to crack them  :unsure:

alotty

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2013, 12:53 »
This is only our 2nd year but we failed miserably with brussel sprouts last year and they are my favourite.  I'm determined to get it right this year

xx
whats the crack with using manure?

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post October 02, 2007, 13:37
by WG.
xx
Mending a crack in a water butt

Started by themoog on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 08:44
by woodburner
xx
Mistakes you make year after year after year

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post May 07, 2022, 22:37
by Rob the rake
question
Saving shallots from this year's seed-sown to plant next year

Started by Beepee on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2021, 10:19
by cc

Page created in 0.421 seconds with 38 queries.