This year I will crack ........

• 58 Replies

crh75

Re: This year I will crack ........
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 11:49 »
Celeriac and brussel sprouts.

Celeriac - this will only be my second year trying it, last year I did not appriciate how much feed and water it required.
Sprouts - some years they are great others (most) not so. 

Also, I must try and get better at sucessional sowing.  All too often when I want to re-sow in 2-3 weeks it ends up being 6+ before I have time.  With a baby due at the end of May I don't think I'll crack it this year though.

parsley

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 12:14 »
Not sure I'll have time this year but would love to grow cauliflower. It's always failed for me just like it did my Grandad who had 3 plots and was a fantastic gardener. Maybe it's genetic!
Motherhood - when being spontaneous takes 2 and a half days of careful planning

plum crumble

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 12:31 »
carrots, swede, celeriac, aubergine............. :nowink:

am trying peas the first time this year, so will report back - but am told they are easy peasy -  :lol: ::) did you see what I did there?

rubbish chillies and peppers last 2 years, but I would like to blame that on the rubbish weather, if I may?  :unsure:
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

BabbyAnn

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 13:20 »
aubergines - the only successful ones I grew were a F1 patio variety with small fruits but when it comes to proper aubergines, they don't seem to do anything whether outdoors or in the greenhouse.  Last year I vowed never to try again, but then .... the weather really was rubbish, so just one more try and then that is it!

Lardman

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 14:20 »
Spring onions.. This will be year 5 I think and not 1 has made it.   :(

compostqueen

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 15:07 »
 :D :D 

Eblana

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 15:18 »
Spring onions.. This will be year 5 I think and not 1 has made it.   :(

So it is not just me :D - I resorted to buying plugs last year and even then I only got one bunch.

Spring onions and Aubergines for me

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 15:48 »
Sweetcorn. I had nice big plants last year, that were munched overnight by slugs.

And brassicas in general, always poor for me, had a few decent cabbages last year but that was it.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 16:37 »
I'm going to have one more go at growing greenhouse cucumbers (Passandra - only 2 seeds left!) and am prepared to plead, beg, stroke magic crystals and semi-precious stones whilst chanting weird incantations, ANYTHING to get them to stay alive long enough to produce even one fruit.

Or..............I might just do what my neighbour does - she plonks them any old how in a planter way earlier than I would dare to, lets them get on with it and subsequently donates any spare cukes to me!  ::)

I'd give her your other 2 seeds then Jay!   :lol: ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 16:40 »
Now where shall I start.... :lol:
celery,celeriac,aubergines year we moved house & I hadn't got a greenhouse had a fantastic crop of the baby sized ones  :ohmy: But today I threw down the gauntlet & then picked it back up- I am stopping buying those supermarket pots of herbs,mainly basil,parley & coriander so I've been & sowed the first lot,now just need to keep up with the successional sowing. Also :lol: did Dill,lemon balm,cress,oregano for good measure.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 16:50 »
I'm going to have one more go at growing greenhouse cucumbers (Passandra - only 2 seeds left!) and am prepared to plead, beg, stroke magic crystals and semi-precious stones whilst chanting weird incantations, ANYTHING to get them to stay alive long enough to produce even one fruit.

Or..............I might just do what my neighbour does - she plonks them any old how in a planter way earlier than I would dare to, lets them get on with it and subsequently donates any spare cukes to me!  ::)

I'd give her your other 2 seeds then Jay!   :lol: ;)

Nah - I've looked at or even touched 'em so they've already received the kiss of death!  :tongue2:  :nowink:  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 17:36 »
Now aubergines are being mentioned a lot on this thread and they were one of my 'will you just grow darn you' veg, but last year I bought a grafted plant and it was a whole new world  ;)

Going to invest again this year.  Maybe the way forward with greenhouse cukes JayG  :unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 18:14 »
Now aubergines are being mentioned a lot on this thread and they were one of my 'will you just grow darn you' veg, but last year I bought a grafted plant and it was a whole new world  ;)

Going to invest again this year.  Maybe the way forward with greenhouse cukes JayG  :unsure:

I already have nights spent dreaming about cucumbers grafted onto Japanese knotweed rootstock NS!   ::)

Until that happens I'll probably take CQ's advice and water them less (treat 'em mean, kill 'em quick, save time!!)   :lol:

Christine

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 18:37 »
After last season where only the swedes and bean family did really well, I'll settle for cracking a good crop of almost anything this year.

Trillium

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 19:00 »
I had excellent Swede last year which I had planted in with my carrots. I protect these from root fly using old net curtains. Whenever I have planted Swede out in the open something other than Pigeons seems to eat the leaves.

My Celeriac however was the size of a golf ball despite loads of lovely green leaves. I think the trick is to be quite ruthless and prune the outer leaves quite hard to encourage the root to grow.

Mine improved size quickly when I started pulling extra stalks early. I leave up to 3 stalks at any time and it seems to work. Got some respectable sized celeriac last year, plus 2 I missed that went to seed this spring and have now been transplanted to a safer location to finish seeding.

xx
whats the crack with using manure?

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post October 02, 2007, 13:37
by WG.
xx
Mending a crack in a water butt

Started by themoog on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 08:44
by woodburner
xx
Mistakes you make year after year after year

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post May 07, 2022, 22:37
by Rob the rake
question
Saving shallots from this year's seed-sown to plant next year

Started by Beepee on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2021, 10:19
by cc

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 38 queries.