celeriac

• 50 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: celeriac
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 23:05 »
mine were daintily pricked out into modules at the seedling leaf stage, using the power of a sweetcorn fork. They are now very happy and robust-looking, but I'm guessing this condemns me to 'faffer' status...?!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2013, 23:20 »
mine were daintily pricked out into modules at the seedling leaf stage, using the power of a sweetcorn fork. They are now very happy and robust-looking, but I'm guessing this condemns me to 'faffer' status...?!
In that case Surbie, I'm a 'faffer' too (sweetcorn fork, very useful, ta hun!).  :)  I think for those of us only growing a few, faffing is fine but DD does grow 'en masse' so I can see his point (just wished I lived nearer).  ::) :D
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

mike0001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2013, 10:19 »
I will pot them on in clumps ... agree with the impossible to sow them thinly ..... I took what I thought was 3-4 seeds ... turned out to be more like 20  :lol:

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2013, 12:53 »
My have been in the cold frame for two weeks now and are doing great. Is it too early to plant under pop bottle cloches?
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

mike0001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2013, 18:52 »

looks dry buts its quite soggy in reality

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2013, 19:04 »
Oh good, mine look the same! I sowed mine in modules thinking I could just put a few in each one and then thin out. Some modules seem to have 10 thriving and others have none - very 'clumpy'. I wasn't sure when to pot on as they are just so tiny looking!

Totty

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2013, 08:31 »
What is it with all this faffing talk? There are no hard and fast rules in this game and everyone does things slightly different. If something is going to influence the way a plant grows its not faffing IMO. Of coarse we could all just direct sow all our seed and hope for the best, zero faffing. or you can chit, sow, prick out, pot on, tie in, pinch out, drip feed or mist spray till your hearts content. It's not faffing if it benefits your plants.
Have around 200 celeriac growing, two sowings. I just put a tiny pinch of seed in each 84 cells in a tray, then thin out with scissors. Rarely have to prick them out to fill modules that have not germinated.

Totty

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2013, 09:45 »
To faff, or not to faff, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the garden to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of ungerminated seeds
And by pre-chitting, grow them.

(One man's faff is another man's good idea for improving his chances of successful growing - I suppose it's partly to do with how much patience and spare time you have to play with.)  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Totty

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2013, 09:54 »
Personally, I like to improve my chances wherever possible. With over a hundred varietys of fruit and veg and a chef and restaurant depending on results, I can't afford to leave things to chance, if faffing means making sure that what your doing will provide results equal to your own standards then I am a serial faffer, with very few failures (touching wood as I type!)  :tongue2:

Totty

Paul Plots

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2013, 11:41 »
I am without a doubt a "faffer" but only when I have the time to faff.

These days faffing is mostly out either that or I have to reduce the lsit of tasks in order to have time to faff with others.  :wacko: Nope - faffing is definitely out.  :blink:

So celeriac = 0
   beetroot = 2
      carrots = 2

PS Parsnip might get a look in if I'm not too late off the mark.  :unsure:

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2013, 13:14 »
To faff, or not to faff, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the garden to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of ungerminated seeds
And by pre-chitting, grow them.

I like that  :D

It isn't faff if it makes a better end result, it is just good working practice.
Anne

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2013, 18:33 »
Planting mine tomorrow under pop bottle cloches and handful of last years rotted compost at the bottom of each hole

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2013, 18:42 »
Planting mine tomorrow under pop bottle cloches and handful of last years rotted compost at the bottom of each hole

Out of interest how big are yours? Mine are so tiny I couldn't even imagine being able to get them out in one piece and they certainly wouldn't need a hole!

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2013, 18:47 »
About 6 inches high

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2013, 19:31 »
Makes sense :) My new ones are only about 3 weeks old. I had some a month earlier than but I went away for a few days a d despite my best efforts they died :( I am hoping these will catch up

xx
Celeriac

Started by iggyboy60 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 19:21
by barbarella
xx
Celeriac

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 26, 2010, 16:54
by strangerachael
xx
Celeriac

Started by gregmcalister on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 20, 2007, 19:58
by gobs
xx
Celeriac

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 16, 2013, 13:19
by Agatha

Page created in 0.529 seconds with 37 queries.