Mulching my beds?

• 4 Replies

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
Mulching my beds?
« on: April 09, 2013, 01:43 »
There are a few "piles" of grass clippings/leaves that I have discovered on our land. The top layer is partially broken down, and looks like it was added last year, before we moved in. Below that it's slightly better broken down, and a bit matted in places.

I've never mulched before, so as an afterthought, I decided to to try mulching my just dug beds before I put my veg in this year. But after doing a bit of searching/reading on the web, it seems that it may be bad for the soil - the mats stopping oxygen getting to the soil.

So my question is, now that I've done it, should I undo it?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Mulching my beds?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 08:17 »
Grass rots down very poorly on its own as you have discovered, which is why it should be mixed with other materials (especially "brown" ingredients like cardboard or paper) to keep it aerated and prevent the slimy, matted mess which otherwise results.

As long as the stuff you have mulched with isn't all matted and isn't more than a couple of inches deep it will be fine - if in doubt you can always toss it around a bit with a fork to make sure it's reasonably loose. The only problem you may encounter in a few week's time will be if the original grass was cut when seeding away merrily!  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 15:09 »
I am planning on getting a paper shredder so I can mix the stuff with grass mowings in a compost bin.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 16:08 »
I love mulch for my plants, but I also live in a dry summer area so mulch is essential for  me. And because my summers are drier, we have little problem with slugs or snails, which is the bane of UK gardening. Mulch definitely breaks down and helps soil but you must also weigh pros and cons with what else comes with this.

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 22:03 »
Thanks for the replies/advice.

I forgot to mention, there is also quite a bit of moss mixed in with the grass clippings and leaves which appears to have helped stop it all getting too matted. The majority is fairly loose or in the form of hand-sized clumps.

We do have a shredder, but have been saving all our paper/card to help get our multi-fuel burner started. I think when the time comes to cut the grass I'll collect some of the leaves that are still sitting on the ground in places from last autumn and scatter them over the lawn before mowing it.

As for the slugs and snails, my idea is to surround our veg with a layer of sharp sand, so hopefully that will deter them. It's worked quite well for me in the past.

xx
Mulching

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 21:58
by Trillium
xx
mulching mad !

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2020, 14:19
by snowdrops
xx
mulching

Started by whippersnapper on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 17:06
by boosh
xx
Mulching

Started by Sweet Pea 2 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 17:14
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.479 seconds with 28 queries.